CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last

Thread: Xs500?

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

well this is not so mucgh of an opion as it is a fact- the xs500 was yamahas flop bike- at a 100 bucks sure i woulda bought it and parted it out and upgraded to a much better bike to chop.

they had issues with the xs500s.
    topends were a real pos idea they tried .
    there is a reason they only made them for a very short time.

oopps sorry if i tossed in a negative here. but when that motor goes tits up on you even at low miles they will- then youll wonder wtf!?

Get Adobe Flash player

I have heard a lot about them having there problems. Mainly the cylinder heads crack but I have talked to experts on the bike and there is no actual problem that they cause. I have tight money situations and the fact that this was 100 bucks is a blessing. I don't have the time to part it out. I wanna ride! Maybe i can save money or sell this one down the road to help fund another project but as of right now its what I've got and its mine.

Get Adobe Flash player

Hey man your bikes is coming along cool. I saw your comment on my profile that ypu know my bike from down at blues. Lots of local boys building these bikes that I meet on these sites. We'll have to get everone to meet up down there this year. You gotta hit chopperfest at martin speedway on july. Lots of yamychops there also

Get Adobe Flash player

I'll try if I can get all the stuff sorted out I need to. Once this one is done I think im going to put her on the market if anyone wants her.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by JakenBake View Post
    I have heard a lot about them having there problems. Mainly the cylinder heads crack but I have talked to experts on the bike and there is no actual problem that they cause. I have tight money situations and the fact that this was 100 bucks is a blessing. I don't have the time to part it out. I wanna ride! Maybe i can save money or sell this one down the road to help fund another project but as of right now its what I've got and its mine.

chop what ya got.

but i would seriously consider flippin it and landing a better bike with a better power plant than the xs500. you will thank yourself later on.

Get Adobe Flash player

Oh I no doubt want something better. The bike as it is is a wiring nightmare. whoever wired it before I got it cut wires and spliced em back together and even added a few. The bike doesn't want to start right now so a buddy and I are going to redo the wiring one of these days and make everything work and replace most of the switches with toggles. Once I chop this one out I'm definitely looking to upgrade.

Get Adobe Flash player

Got some of the rewiring done yesterday. Well, actually my friend did most of it while i watched and drank beer. Haha. Its going smooth i guess, come to find out it still leaks oil out of the oil cap cover piece-a-magig. My girl bought me all the necessary wring parts and even supplied the beer... God I love my girl.. no crazy ass wiring harness anymore!!

The "Old Lady" and my new fender.
    My friends brothers bike. kinda the same motor when you look at it only mine has a kick start.
    Nates bike KZ900 in a hardtailed 650 frame if i remeber right.

Get Adobe Flash player

Wiring is almost done. Buddy chopped off the mufflers and we started it up!!! Hell yeah!! It runs!! Now i just gotta figure out why the hell it is leaking from the oil cap cover and oil filter...

Get Adobe Flash player

Good advice, always wear safety goggles when cutting or grinding. this thing also backfired when i was crouched down six inches away from my ear.... you should probably try and avoid that too...

Get Adobe Flash player

why chop it? make a cafe racer out of it . you will probably make more money when you want to get rid of it

Get Adobe Flash player

Congrats on getting her started, Mine is still sitting there, Finishing up the Sporty and might pick up A BSA easter weekend. Unless my girl finds her way around a wrench looks like it wont be finished in time for summer

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by payupcycles View Post
    why chop it? make a cafe racer out of it . you will probably make more money when you want to get rid of it
    Because I would like to be able to ride with someone on the back. I'm not so worried about getting the most back for it, I am more worried about having it the way i want it.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by MegaDON666 View Post
    Congrats on getting her started, Mine is still sitting there, Finishing up the Sporty and might pick up A BSA easter weekend. Unless my girl finds her way around a wrench looks like it wont be finished in time for summer
    Thats unfortunate. Hows the IH comin along? BSA are cool, I like there tanks.

Get Adobe Flash player

Your girl must not like you much,she bought you pabst!!!!

Get Adobe Flash player

I'll try if I can get all the stuff sorted out I need to. Once this one is done I think im going to put her on the market if anyone wants her.
    sorry man i read this and thought you wanted to get rid of it
    save your money and get something you really want. if its a learning project
    then go for it

Get Adobe Flash player

then go for it chop away

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by swbiill View Post
    Your girl must not like you much,she bought you pabst!!!!
    What? I like my water flavored beer. Haha.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by payupcycles View Post
    then go for it chop away
    I mean don't get me wrong I will want to sell it later on but for right now its more of a learning experience. I'm going to save money while I am riding then sell it and with the money i already saved try to see what deals i can find on an Irohnead. My next build is definitely going to be more bad ass....not that this one isn't, that still remains to be seen. However it sounds pretty bad ass. I'm trying to get a video right now but my phone is messed up and doesn't wan't to record anything.

Get Adobe Flash player

Did a little work on the XS trying to make the oil filter racket seal correctly and stop leaking oil. I went to lowes and picked up a orange rubber gasket material and cut it to fit, hopefully that solves the problem. Cut off the megaphone exhaust and pretty much got all the wiring redone minus the lights. I have been thinking a a lot and I think i might turn it into a cafe' racer just for money and time sake. Still gotta go back and pour some oil in it and see if it will hold. Pray to the chop gods for me guys....

Get Adobe Flash player

Did it turn out ok?

Share This