Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Salty
    • Sep 2010

MMI, Wyotech, etc?

Been seriously considering enrolling in a Motorcycle Mechanic school. Was wondering if anyone here had any experience with any schools or knew of some schools that are similar. Thanks.
  • azmotorhead
    • Apr 2024

i went to mmi in '97, good for the basics and will help get your foot in the door somewhere, but thats about it.

Comment

• BigMikeOlley
      • Apr 2024

Good if you want to learn! I personally could not have made it without the education I got at MMI. You will hear this alot... you get out what you put into it. Most instructors are good, but are a little put off by lack of truely interested students, you really go the extra step to get attention. I've worked with a few techs with no formal education who were great but also with alot of hacks. Good luck!! Not gonna say the industry is short of qualified individuals.

Comment

• inxs
        • Sep 2009

I have been thinking about that too. I would interested in hearing what people have to say.
        P.S. Salty your profile pic is great!

Comment

• crapmastercrunch
          • Dec 2010

for the 16 to 20 grand you pay for school you can afford to hang a round a bike shop long enough to learn a thing or two and more importantly meet people to get a good gig. i did the school route and ive also met some amazing bodymen that started washing cars and are now master mercedes techs. dont get me wrong i learned an assload in school and it helped me get my foot in the door, but in hindsight i could have been just a s good if i went a different route, good luck anyways Salty

Comment

• YOURADHERE
            • Jan 2011

^^^That's kind of the way I've always looked at it. At one time I considered MMI/Wyotech/UTI or something similar but the cost pushed me away. Ive got a buddy that went to MMI(Marine) and spent ~$22k on classes/rent/expenses. He could have got a job as a shop hand and learned just about everything he learned at MMI and be getting paid to do so. I recently asked him if he thought it was worth it and he said it was good to gain the knowledge for more in-depth jobs, but he'll rarely use that info as the majority of his work has him doing simple tune ups and installing trolling motors.

Comment

• jackietuxedo
              • Feb 2010

I went to wyotech for auto mechanics. I'll be in debt till I'm 40 or so and I make more money working for the state doing something unrelated. Save your fucking money or take machinist classes or something like that.

Comment

• motoguru
                • Aug 2009

I went to AMI over MMI just to get it done with quicker. It was 7 months of full days vs. 13 months of half days. I thought I knew everything, but I actually learned quite a bit. Would I do it again? Absolutely not. For me, working in the industry as a full time tech/service manager has killed the passion. The last thing I wanna do is work on a bike when I get home, so my projects just sit collecting dust. Someone told me this once: "Find a job you can handle, and make that your career. Save the stuff your passionate about for your own time." I couldn't agree more.

Comment

• GlassBikerNC
                  • Feb 2010

"find a job you can handle, and make that your career. Save the stuff your passionate about for your own time." i couldn't agree more.
                  ditto!

Comment

• cntrhub
                    • Apr 2024

INN at the shop are bedbugs and munchies half the day being bored

Originally posted by motoguru
                    Someone told me this once: "Find a job you can handle, and make that your career. Save the stuff your passionate about for your own time." I couldn't agree more.
                    Find something that has your passion locked-in for the rest of your life> if you can find it. You go to work, not to a job. Besides that, someone is going to pay you for it so say nothing!

They are showing you, heavy cam degree timing, and simple tuneup's, right? So, cam degree'ing is an art. Tuneup is close enough kind of get away with a sloppy tune for 22K worth of school.

INN that case, I'd buy a small used bike that I can still buy parts for. Strip it all down and clean all the parts; put them in a box. Then buy a gasket kit, a shop manual, all OEM parts mind you. Because I still have 20 grand worth of parts to buy I mess up building a 2 grand bike.

If I follow the pages for assembly and just look at the photos, I might go out and buy 20 grand worth of tools and do I have experience? Well, here is a photo of all my bike parts in a box. And here is my bike outside, me asking for a job like outperform some MMI that, "Missed Most Instructions."

Comment

• volcomskater77
                      • Dec 2010

my main focus is on cars but bikes are cheaper and rewarding factor is much faster. thats why im doin it. lol im thinking about going to Ohio Technical College for auto resto and maybe powersport. it seems like a really good school and ive talked with the recruiter about me going there multiple times. well see whats gonna happen. i have friends that go there and they say its awesome and they love the schedule. my problem is that im working at this guys house building 60's fords and fox bodies from the ground up and i dont think the auto resto class would be worth it based on all the knowledge im gaining. i am however going to be taking the auto program at JJC and thats only like 8k and i get an associates degree and ASE certified. look into your local junior college or bike shop then expand from there. if you want to further your education then go the tech school route. thats what im doin. just my 2 cents.

Comment

• CMA406
                        • Apr 2010

a friend of mine went to wyotech for diesel tech stuff. he said it was brutal, 10 % percent kids who cared, the rest were rich kids who were too stupid to go to college but mom and dad made them do something....he said he wouldnt do it again. for what its worth...

Comment

• rev616
                          • Mar 2010

Originally posted by motoguru
                          I went to AMI over MMI just to get it done with quicker. It was 7 months of full days vs. 13 months of half days. I thought I knew everything, but I actually learned quite a bit. Would I do it again? Absolutely not. For me, working in the industry as a full time tech/service manager has killed the passion. The last thing I wanna do is work on a bike when I get home, so my projects just sit collecting dust. Someone told me this once: "Find a job you can handle, and make that your career. Save the stuff your passionate about for your own time." I couldn't agree more.
                          i went to MMI and yes after 6 years in the industry it has killed a good chunk of my passion..i never want to work on my bike,i do though..there is alot of small shit that i keep putting off after working on them all day..then i decided to get another one that just sits!

Comment

• Jackster
                            • Jun 2010

I went to UTI in Houston and I can honestly say that I didn't learn very much that I couldn't have learned by opening up a shop manual and figuring it out on my own. It's probably good for young people with no direction, but nothing that's gonna prepare you to work in the industry the day after graduation. Having said that, if you do really well, and get picked up by one of the manufacturers, THAT is a different story and will teach you ALOT! I got picked up by Volvo, but got mobilized with the Army instead.

Comment

• cntrhub
                              • Apr 2024

Originally posted by Jackster
                              ... but got mobilized with the Army instead.
                              I'd jump in the air-force and learn about jets and that engine dept.
                              I'd jump on a ship and learn about engines there.
                              I'd jump in the army and learn machine shop.
                              I'd rather be a marine and do some damage someplace like mess up their machine shop anshit.

All free and 16 months is what?; a few months difference? Nothing out of pocket. 3 squares. You're getting paid. You need transportation. The motor-pool, the exercise, the running. Well, not for parts, but the basics. We'll get to the engines later... Butt for now... MOVE! HUT 2...... 3 ~ 4 !

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;