CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

I went to MMI and got hired by a big dog dealer 2 weeks before I graduated.that If you wanna work ar a dealership you will need to go to one of these schools to get hired.It hasnt really killed my passion-even working on cartoon bikes with 300 tires and douchebag owners is better than other jobs ive had.Im not gettin rich by any means,but its a living right now.Good luck to whatever you choose.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by BurseCurse View Post
    I went to MMI and got hired by a big dog dealer 2 weeks before I graduated.that If you wanna work ar a dealership you will need to go to one of these schools to get hired.It hasnt really killed my passion-even working on cartoon bikes with 300 tires and douchebag owners is better than other jobs ive had.Im not gettin rich by any means,but its a living right now.Good luck to whatever you choose.
    this is what i was hoping to hear from at least one person.

Get Adobe Flash player

I took automotive and diesel classes at the local JUCO. I finished up a degree and ended up being a top notch diesel tech for some of the larger truck companies. Hated the warranty work but it almost paid my bills. Pretty bad for being an ASE Master Truck Tech. Those tests are beyond hard. Harder than any test I took in college.

I enrolled again and took the welding classes at night because I thought it might come in handy one day. It did come in handy. I ended up with an unreal amount of knowledge about gluing pieces of metal together. Took it one step further and took some online classes on Metal Engineering thru a college here in Texas. Metallurgy is quite kick ass, if I do say so myself. This will roll over to metal working to an extent, once you know how to work metal.

Case and point - if you can find a steady paycheck and take some classes thru the JUCO at night, you'll be shitting in tall cotton. Motor is a motor. Fuel - Air - Spark. It doesn't change, ever. Everything you can learn about a car or truck transposes to a motorcycle. A book isn't going to teach you how to shave 4 hours off of a job and still make money. That comes with years of experience and being diligent about it.

I do agree with most people on here about "killing your passion". I loved hotrodding and building cars in high-school. Once I ended up in the industry, I fucking hated it.

Now, I have a few college degrees that have nothing to do with my career of choice. Do I regret it? No. It was a pain in the ass. But I can sit in my garage and know I can fix anything I want to.

Clear as mud? Wonderful.

Just get out there and get your hands dirty. Give it 110% and it will pay off over time.

I went to wyotech in 06 for collision/refinishing. I learned a lot of things, you will only get out what u put in. 90% of the kids there had money and mommy and daddy made them do something. I say if you want to go to school... Go. Good luck man

Get Adobe Flash player

I too thought about going to a local tech school to learn about working on a bike (i dont have the cash for MMI or the others). I also didn't want to work at a dealership, so i talked to the owner of a local shop down the way and he said one of the best ways is just like the others have said: hang around a shop long enough, you'll learn what you need either by trial and error, or some great hands on instruction.

I ended up not pursuing it, as i work at a machine shop as a welder and manual machinist. Im going to school full-time for Risk Management, as well as teaching myself at night CNC Programming

To the people that have suggested going to machine shop school:
    It's a great way to make a living if you can find the right place to work at. I love where i work, you're always doing something different. And even though im only 21, i feel that this is one of the most rewarding jobs you can have in the blue collar world. I do suggest that if you're going to go to school for it, don't stop at general machine shop, take the next step and learn CNC!

good luck!

Get Adobe Flash player

i went to mmi and graduated. im workin at a dealership now. it pays the bills but defintately not gettin rich. you most definately get what you put into it. the school itself doesnt really give a shit if you learn anything so its all up to you to get the info you need to succeed. there frame of mind is that they are gonna be you're foot in the door and they're gonna let the job market/industry weed out the guys that arent worth a fuck. i personally learned a lot there and met a lot of cool mother fuckers, you just have to be self driven and be able to put up with alot of bullshit. i think that speaks for the industry itself as well though. i have to say though as much of a pain in the ass it can be i love what i do and im glad i did it.
    Last edited by mjasen10; 02-08-2011 at 7:42 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

It sounds like the general feel for most tech schools here is negative. I went to Wyotech in 05 and after all is said and done listen to what everyone else is saying on this thread. I am glad i went for more reasons than one, but to be brutally honest i think the money would have been better spent buying equipment and teaching your self to do stuff. Being older than most when i attended wyotech, I couldn't stand most people in classes because they were complete shitheads. The ones that i did hang with had a real passion for cars. While most people were getting shitty drunk, Me and a few cohorts would work on my 53 pontiac and look at car shit. The shitheads also have screwed it up for those that really have a passion trying to get hired in the industry. From what ive seen, most shops don't look very highly upon wyotech grads. I did work for a shop for awhile. learned a ton from all of my experience, but in time ended up getting a real job, definitely pays better. Bottom line to me, buy some tools and resource literature, ask a bunch of questions and do it on your own.

Get Adobe Flash player

Been running a fleet repair shop for years. I have hired many who has gone to schools. I deeply believe that these schools should give these idiots an entrance exam, cause most of them don't know there ass from a hole in the ground (their minds eye is blind). But I guess they wouldn't be making all that money teaching someone who just doesn't have the capacity or vision for the work. I am not saying that all of them are in this category, but most are. For some reason these students think that some school is going to teach them everything they will ever have to know. Guess again. I think that's whats wrong with most doctors, they just can't fill the gaps between taught knowledge, common sense and the gifts they have been given. Sorry for the rant........

Get Adobe Flash player

sorry to tack on more but my shop only hires mmi grads. anyone from wyotech or any other place or field has their resume dropped in the trash as soon as they walk out the door.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by mjasen10 View Post
    i went to mmi and graduated. im workin at a dealership now. it pays the bills but defintately not gettin rich. you most definately get what you put into it. the school itself doesnt really give a shit if you learn anything so its all up to you to get the info you need to succeed. there frame of mind is that they are gonna be you're foot in the door and they're gonna let the job market/industry weed out the guys that arent worth a fuck. i personally learned a lot there and met a lot of cool mother fuckers, you just have to be self driven and be able to put up with alot of bullshit. i think that speaks for the industry itself as well though. i have to say though as much of a pain in the ass it can be i love what i do and im glad i did it.
    Yeah this I exactly how I'm feelin I met a lot of cool new people and shops and contacts and its fun because everyone at school with you has alittle of the same interest as you in bikes. If you cancan put up with douche bag rich kids and dudes that get fresh tattoos to go to motorcycle school and try and be the cool guy haha id do it . I've learned a ton and a lot of the classes are pretty awesome if you milk them for everything you learn

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Ftw

Fuckem. Bitter and Negative, Im going to go for it anyways man. I asked a similar question and i got the same type of responses. Oh Well. If I'm forever working just to keep working then so be it. Better than collecting a welfare check. Its your life, Live it. People dieing everyday to give you the freedom to PERUSE happiness, And if all else fails... Theres always fully automatic.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by GummoYuckmouth View Post
    Fuckem. Bitter and Negative, Im going to go for it anyways man. I asked a similar question and i got the same type of responses. Oh Well. If I'm forever working just to keep working then so be it. Better than collecting a welfare check. Its your life, Live it. People dieing everyday to give you the freedom to PERUSE happiness, And if all else fails... Theres always fully automatic.
    Fuck yeah man.Thats the right attitude.Go to school,be on time,dont miss any days,and put everything you got into it.Worked for me-to hell with the rich kids and douchebags.If you spend your life worrying about them or what bad things can happen,you would never do anything.GOOD LUCK-and much respect for you having the balls to take a chance.

Share This