Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dudebromandude
    • Nov 2010

76 Ironhead chop project..

Here's my 1976 ironhead I picked up in Washington for a few bucks.
    Decided to chop it up, and build my first chop/bob from the ground up.
    So here's what she looked like before I loaded her up and drove her back to Canada;

Originally the bike was purchased in Hawaii in about 1980 where it spent most of its life. Then it was shipped to Portland, then Washington where it sat in a garage for 5 years.. Amazing its not as rusty as it should be from living in Hawaii for so long. It's been bumped from 1000 to 1200, S&S super E, belt primary, 18" apes, kick only.

Got her home and started the tear down

New Santee weld on hard tail it's getting

Started chopping to make way for the hard tail.

Took my wheels apart while waiting for parts

Rims and hubs back from Powder

Don't ever decide to paint your spokes to save money.. It's not fucking worth it. Front rim laced with newly painted gold spokes, on Avon Venom whitewalls.

Freshly cleaned S&S super E carb with brass velocity stack and intake clamps.

I took my frame and hardtail kit up to my good friend K.C. in the Loops. At his work they have a huge buckshot blaster which is big enough to feed 60 foot steel beams through. We put the frame through before welding, and it came out as clean as a whistle. He did some wicked work gusseting the hardtail into the downtube which has made it super solid. He also threw an extra bar in the rear to allow my seat bungs to come back a bit more and give it some more strengh. K.C., wish I could have stayed longer.. Thanks for putting me up homie, I had a great time.

Another buddy did my seat bungs, oil bag mounts, and battery tray floor.

Started mocking up a bit

The new bars I had made from Rock Chops:

Got the motor back in after painting it with velvet black. Wheels, pipes, seat, oil bag, bars, all mocked up. Its' starting to come together now.. Just waiting on rear fender, ignition, coil mounts, wiring harness, plumbing hoses and fittings. Have to get final welding done for fender struts and sissy bar, then tear down for paint and powder. Still have to find a chain tensioner and fuel petcocks.
    Here's how she sits now.

• ridemore16
    • Oct 2009

Great looking bike and excellent write up! Keep the progress pics coming. I'm really digging the black rims/white wall tire combo!!!

Comment

• bearpaws1973
      • May 2010

Dude excellent job!

Comment

• ZekeYoung66
        • Dec 2010

Right on man. Diggin the shit out of yer sickle.

Comment

• ChetPunisher
          • Sep 2010

Great looking chop man... I think you have done an outstanding job.

Comment

• mjasen10
            • Aug 2009

looks great man, really diggin the bars

Comment

• ZekeYoung66
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by mjasen10
              looks great man, really diggin the bars
              Same here man. The bars rule.

Comment

• jrotten1369
                • Dec 2009

Damn nice. Keep the pic's coming. I like those bars too.

Comment

• carl609
                  • Jan 2010

Looks great dude, keep the pics coming.

Comment

• Phill
                    • Sep 2010

damn absolutly great shit!
                    wow...

cheers from good old germany Phill

Comment

• Dirtbrother
                      • Oct 2010

Very cool thread. that is a sweet build you have there, keep the pics coming. I am doing the same santee frame mod to my 1970 xlh as soon as the hardtail gets delivered to me so this is really helpful. Did the subframe fit ok or were there any fitting issues?

Comment

• ibuiltmine
                        • Jun 2010

Nice! That blaster looks like a cool machine. SAved a ton of work, too!

Looks good!

Comment

• rusjack
                          • Apr 2024

Nice looking bike.
                          How much trouble have you had with the paperwork? border crossing? I see more bikes in my price range in the US than in Canada, and I'm wondering if a roadtrip is worth it or I'll get hung up at the border and with registration.

Comment

• dudebromandude
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dirtbrother
                            Very cool thread. that is a sweet build you have there, keep the pics coming. I am doing the same santee frame mod to my 1970 xlh as soon as the hardtail gets delivered to me so this is really helpful. Did the subframe fit ok or were there any fitting issues?
                            Didn't have any fitment issues at all, once everything was cut off the downtube it was a easy bolt on where the swing arm used to be.. Then tack and weld. Make sure to gusset the top.

Comment

• dudebromandude
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by rusjack
                              Nice looking bike.
                              How much trouble have you had with the paperwork? border crossing? I see more bikes in my price range in the US than in Canada, and I'm wondering if a roadtrip is worth it or I'll get hung up at the border and with registration.
                              That's one thing that did a lot of research on before deciding to buy in the U.S. I didn't want to go this far and find out I'd have to have it inspected. I'm not sure exactly what the cut off year is, but my year "1976" does NOT need to be inspected before Insurance. Just make sure whatever bike you're buying has good numbers. Meaning phone the U.S. DMV and have the numbers checked to make sure it is registererd as it says on the owners regi. Engine numbers must match frame numbers. The border that you plan to cross through has to be notified before bringing the bike through.( All the email addresses are available through the border crossing's website.) If the border hasn't notified you that is ok to bring ther bike through, then dont bother making the trip because they will refuse it.
                              When you come through the border with the bike make sure of three things. You have as copy of the bill of sale, registration, printed copy of "ok to transport" from the border.
                              They'll want to see these three things then they'll ask how much you paid for it, and you'll have to pay tax on the sale price to Canada customs.. then you're free to go.
                              becuase of the year of my bike I can just show up at the Insurance agent with a bill of sale and registration, pay the fee to have it transfered to my name and insure it. No Inspection needed!

Let me know if you have any more questions.
                              when I get home from Christmas I can get you all the email addresses and phone numbers if you want.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;