Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rubber1side1down
    • Sep 2013

97 sporty 18 to 21 wheel alignment

Picked up a 21 inch wheel for my 97 sporty(factory 18inch), wheels (came as a set) were sold to me as “evo sportster custom wheels”. Now I knew I wasn’t going to be able to use my original wheel spacer, as the 18 has recessed bearings and the 21 doesn’t. Pick up a universal axle spacer kit, and with the provided spacers using one on the brake side (running brakeless front rip) it’s perfect (visually). I went to my local HD dealer for info, was basically told “your bikes too old we can’t help you “.

1. Can I run the wheel as is,with a spacer on just the one side?

2. Does any have the correct dimensions for the correct spacers if, if the answer to questions 1 is “no” ?

3. Could I have been sold the wrong wheels? 3/4 axle 100% HD identical my buddy’s old sporty custom.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3168.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	1348480
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Rubber1side1down; 05-08-2023, 7:01 PM.
  • JBinNC
    • Dec 2018

1) On your front end, the axle spacer on the left side (your 2nd pic) sets the location of the wheel in the fork. So, you have that part right. The axle spacer (if any) on the right side sets the location of the axle in the assembly. I.e., if the axle is too far to the left, you need to add a little right side spacer to correct it. If the axle is too far to the right, you need to remove a little spacer, or even turn the shoulder of the axle back to get correct location.

2) You are attempting to replace Timken bearing wheels ('73 - '99) with ball bearing wheels ('00 - up), which has been done many times, but YOYO.

3) Those aren't THE wheels for your model bike, but the swap has been done many times now, see answer #2, above.

I think ya got it.

Jim

Comment

• Rubber1side1down
      • Sep 2013

So if I understand correctly, I CAN run no spacer on the right (opposite of “brake side”) ? Thank you in advance

Comment

• JBinNC
        • Dec 2018

The right side spacer, if any, bears against the shoulder of the axle, NOT the fork leg. So, if you are happy with the axle location, button it up & call it good.

Jim

Comment

• Rubber1side1down
          • Sep 2013

Right on man thanks again ��

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
          Working...
          ;