buy oem harley parts outside of my local dealer network?

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oneuptom
    • Sep 2010

buy oem harley parts outside of my local dealer network?

How can I get around this shit?

Ronnie''s or anybody else out of my dealer network isn't allowed to sell to me online discount parts anymore because of this current HD policy

Blows my mind how fucked up everything is getting
  • kestrou
    • Oct 2021

Huh? I hadn't heard about this change in policy...

Yeah - sounds like a boon for Kuryakyn and company if HD is limiting their product sales even more?

Kevin

Comment

• oneuptom
      • Sep 2010

Originally posted by kestrou
      Huh? I hadn't heard about this change in policy...

Yeah - sounds like a boon for Kuryakyn and company if HD is limiting their product sales even more?

Kevin
      I knew it was going into effect 12/31/22 but forgot I guess. Added these items to my cart yesterday at Ronnie"s and was reminded it wasn't going to happen at checkout.

(1) 74714-10 TACHOMETER,
      (2) 2325 SCREW NO. 6 X 3/4 SELF-TAPPING
      (4) 2361 SCREW NO. 8-32 X 3/8 SOCKET COUNTERSINK HD., W/LOCKPATCH
      (1) 67091-08 HARNESS INSTRUMENT ASSEMBLY
      (1) 67121-95A GASKET TACHOMETER
      (1) 67157-08 BRACKET INSTRUMENT MOUNTING
      (1) 67880-94 BOOT RESET SWITCH
      (1) 68513-07B BEZEL INDICATOR LAMPS

So this morning I fill out a parts request online from my local dealer then call over to see if they got it. Suzi in parts didn't know about their online parts request but is getting back to me if she finds it (I'm not holding my breath)

If she does get back to me I know my total will be at least $200.00 more than from Ronnie"s. Needlessly fucking painful this in person shit.

I would tell younger people coming up now to don't even bother throwing your leg over a fucking Harley

Comment

• farmall
        • Apr 2013

Unless something has changed local dealers can still drop ship locally. Dealers have nationwide parts access or did so if a part exists they can theoretically get it.

Younger riders tend to forget FTF (Fuck The Factory) was a long-deserved attitude. It didn't get much publicity because magazines had to eat advertiser ass which (except for the only righteous HD mag, the David Snow era Iron Horse).

I'd be amused if HD went bankrupt. They were just a convenience and the less they sell the more opportunities for the aftermarket.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
          • Dec 2017

seems like this policy has been around for a decade;

St. Paul Harley Sues Harley-Davidson Over Prohibition Of Online International Sales
          Published by Cyril Huze
          November 12th, 2011

A few months ago, you remember that I reported that Harley-Davidson was informing and reminding its dealers that online sales were forbidden outside their dealership territories.
          Main targets were those dealers selling parts and accessories through 3rd party independent dealers (brick & mortar and online shops usually reselling Harley genuine parts at a discount) and those, because of their proximity to our country borders, doing a lot of international sales.
          Problem is that many Harley dealers would have not have survived our US economic recessions without these “outlawed sales.”...According to the lawsuit, the motorcycle maker said that starting Aug. 1, U.S. dealers may not sell Harley-Davidson parts and accessories to any customer outside the United States. The lawsuit said that starting Jan. 1, 2012, U.S. dealers may not sell new parts or accessories on third-party websites.The policy revisions illegally alter the company’s franchise agreement with dealers, the lawsuit claims...
          Click image for larger version

Name:	St-Paul-HD1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	1323946

2022 Thread: H-D online sales policy
          Found this notice at my go to H-D dealer, New Castle H-D.
          ATTENTION:
          Due to changes to the H-D online sales policy, as of Jan 1, 2022 dealerships nation wide will no longer be allowed to ship any genuine H-D products outside of their dealership area.
          If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• oneuptom
            • Sep 2010

I've never been able to figure out this Harley parts availability thing. Seems like ten years is the upper limit for making parts obsolete?

Like this gauge assembly I'm putting together for example. I can get everything I need from the dealer except for the speedo and vibration gasket because they've obsoleted them already (2012 bike). But I can get them NOS from an eBay seller at non-inflated prices, I believe actually lower than if HD sold them to me. The odo is built into the tach so we'll see if they take my word on the mileage that needs to be imputed at the factory before I can have it. If i didn't have this nostalgia quirk I would have just went aftermarket, much cheaper too.

Comment

• farmall
              • Apr 2013

They don't need to care because it will never affect new sales. Mechanics as a customer population have been irrelevant for near fifty years.

Fortunately the only information that functionally matters is a charge indicator light and perhaps an oil pressure light. Tachometers are just entertainment and speedos mostly so. If information is wanted GPS speedos beat factory shit and everyone's cell phone is one.

Comment

• 10scDust
                • Jan 2018

But, did you ever try to read a cell phone screen glaring in the sun, while attached some way to the handle bars?

Comment

• oneuptom
                  • Sep 2010

I think it's a last year for the US XR1200X, one could argue probably the best Sportster ever built. From 50 ft it'll resemble an old ironhead, shocks moved, etc. Many frame mods. Bike will probably have less than 8,000 miles on it when it's sold. 7,004 miles right now.

Apparently the tach is built to order so I'm told I won't have it for three months. I hope to get some good money for it. I'll have $6000 tops into it not counting my time, but my life is a hobby anyway. I picked up the title, engine, frame, ecu, aluminum swingarm, main wiring harness, pretty much everything except for fuel & oil tanks, rims and front end. Everything going on it is new, NOS. Rims are new dual disc Ducati scrambler. Big custom brembo discs. I have all the original calipers for it. I'll double my money back on those gauges for sure when I can prove the actual mileage.

Name:	1img6355.jpg
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	1323951

Comment

• farmall
                    • Apr 2013

Originally posted by 10scDust
                    But, did you ever try to read a cell phone screen glaring in the sun, while attached some way to the handle bars?
                    Mine rides on my forearm using a Juggernaut forearm mount (the military like those for good reasons).

Rugged phone cases, mounts, and cable solutions - combat proven by U.S. and allied forces. Shop the Juggernaut.Case ecosystem by model, mission, or environment.

I've no problem mounting phones differently either. Glare never bothered me but if it did I'd switch to a matte screen protector. I'm very comfortable with technology, not that it takes any effort with the cornucopia of equipment available.

Comment

• oneuptom
                      • Sep 2010

Showed up a lot faster than expected. So now I can pick up a matching NOS speedo from eBay

Name:	20230316_121024.jpg
Size:	292.9 KB
ID:	1324020

Comment

• BubbaRobert90
                        • Jan 2018

Not surprised that Harley won't sell parts.

I went into my local shop to get a nut and bolt to attach my swingarm to the shock.

I was told they found the part in the system, but it is OBSOLETE.

How the hell is a nut and bolt obsolete? Do these people not still manufacture and repair evo Sportsters? (The bike that has remained largely unchanged since the 80s)

I left chuckling to myself as they salesman stood next to a brand new recliner on wheels and asked me how I was doing.

Comment

• farmall
                          • Apr 2013

Most vehicle manufacturers only stock parts for machines over ten or fifteen years old by accident if it happened to match a more recent part.

Sporties LOOK unchanged, they ain't. Best to download a bolt cross reference (I forget the link since I almost never need one) showing fastener size and part number or just match length and pitch if it's a conventional faster. HD parts availability is quite decent by motor vehicle standards.

When hunting a part by number I Google it with "prices" in the search string and of course check Ebay since so much old dealer inventory (for everything under the sun) is offered there. Many FSMs have a bolt size chart.

Sportsterpedia has this page. I save web pages to named folders so I can download they as a web page instead of printing or printing to .pdf so I get the hyperlinks. The factory SIP (Service Information Portal) saves dealer visits to find if a part is obsolete and if in doubt some dealers like Surdyke have a live chat function.

Example SIP parts list for a 2003:

If you need a part from a dealer out of state it's worth knowing local dealers can order them then drop ship to you. You can also order from your local dealer by phone. I almost never go to brick and mortar dealers in person and rarely buy from them.
                          Last edited by farmall; 06-10-2023, 7:53 AM.

Comment

• BubbaRobert90
                            • Jan 2018

Hey thanks for sharing that! I am sure this will come in handy! (I ended up going to a local hardware supplier and they were able to get me a replacement.)

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                            Working...
                            ;