X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • atlanticave
    • Oct 2021

Slim sportster chopper rear wheel choice

Hello everyone,

I'm building a 1989 sportster chopper. 21" on the front and 18" on the rear. I want to wear a 4.00-18 tire and I was thinking about choosing a 2.15"x18 rim. Is this going to work well together? What is the historically accurate width for a 18" rear wheel in a chopper?

Thank you so much

Ale
  • JBinNC
    • Dec 2018

My opinion, the bike would be happier with a WM4, 2.5" rim.

Jim

Comment

• atlanticave
      • Oct 2021

Thank you so much!
      It's pretty hard to find these weird size rims here in europe. I can only find italian rims with opposite spoke coupling. Is that a problem lacing the rim? My old harley rim has spokes holes coupled right-left-right-left but the italian ones are coupled like left-right-left-right

Thank you!

Alessandro

Comment

• TriNortchopz
        • Dec 2017

It's pretty hard to find these weird size rims here in europe...
        maybe here, from Germany:

Rims

Drop center rims with an exact duplication of the OEM  spoke dimple pattern. Solid and careful workmanship.

RimsWhether for replacement after damage, or for rebuilding a wheel, W&W Cycles' selection of rims for Harley-Davidson motorcycles covers nearly every need. These include reproductions of the original equipment, such as bead rims for vintage bikes, 18" semi-drop center rims for classic

see more, including complete wheels here:

Classic wheels and tires for Harley-Davidson motorcyclesA wheel in the front for steering, one in the back for propelling, and an air-cooled V-twin engine in between. You don´t need much more for happiness. WheelsSince the first model in 1903, Harley-Davidson's classics
        If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• atlanticave
          • Oct 2021

Originally posted by TriNortchopz
          maybe here, from Germany:

Rims

Drop center rims with an exact duplication of the OEM  spoke dimple pattern. Solid and careful workmanship.

RimsWhether for replacement after damage, or for rebuilding a wheel, W&W Cycles' selection of rims for Harley-Davidson motorcycles covers nearly every need. These include reproductions of the original equipment, such as bead rims for vintage bikes, 18" semi-drop center rims for classic

see more, including complete wheels here:

https://www.wwag.com/cgi-bin/WebObje...?page=%2144618
          Unfortunately 2.15x18 is out of stock

Comment

• JBinNC
            • Dec 2018

Originally posted by atlanticave
            Thank you so much!
            It's pretty hard to find these weird size rims here in europe. I can only find italian rims with opposite spoke coupling. Is that a problem lacing the rim? My old harley rim has spokes holes coupled right-left-right-left but the italian ones are coupled like left-right-left-right

Thank you!

Alessandro
            A universal rim with the spoke holes down the centerline is what you want; you can lace it to pretty much any hub. By the way, many of the rims H-D used (uses?) are Italian.

Jim

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
            Working...
            ;