Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • docmel
    • May 2015

1989, 3/4" axle softail rear wheel: Wheel dragging when axle nut is tightenend

1989, 3/4" axle rear wheel off a softail

With the axle nut loose, wheel spins freely (I am running a stocker rear caliper)

When I slowly tighten the axle nut down and turn the wheel at the same time, the wheel begins to drag until it takes quite a bit of effort to even turn it. Its almost locked in place when the axle nut is tightened to spec

I removed the rear caliper and belt thinking one or the other might be causing the drag, still have the same exact problem. Axle spacers are correct. Out-to-in pressure (from axle spacers) on the bearings?: Anyway I can check with the wheel off the bike?

I must have installed this same set up many times in the past and have never encountered this
  • Tater66
    • Mar 2019

Shims. There should be shims on one side of the bearings(inside the hub) along with a steel tube(also inside hub).

When replacing bearings and cups use shims to get proper end play. Do this before installing seals.

Or... the issue could be caliper bracket. The spacer on the inside of caliper bracket may be too short. Tighten axle and bracket rubs hub.

Common when mixing parts. You say this set up has been installed multiple time. I myself have inadvertently pulled a switcharoo on the axle spacers and everything was gacked up until i messed around with it for a day or two.
    Last edited by Tater66; 01-14-2023, 1:14 PM.

Comment

• triumphbruce
      • Jun 2014

Having same problem.Except PM brake
      Pulled wheel found spacer on wrong side.re assembled measured and had proper spacing.
      Torquing axel started jaming at 45
      Found rotor bolts hitting break bracket.used round file for clearance.
      Now at torque 65 it still drags 55 it's free
      Caliper is centered on rotor.belt runs true.bike runs straight down road no wobble or shimmy
      Will tear into it again early spring.

Comment

• docmel
        • May 2015

Are we talking internal spacers? If so, what part number are you talking about and what side does it go on (see attachment)

Forgot to mention, caliper and bracket is not my problem. Mounted w/o, still had same exact prob
        Attached Files

Comment

• triumphbruce
          • Jun 2014

#35 is a stock cut down washer/spacer
          It rides against the inner side of the bearing
          Then shims are added to bring it into spec

Comment

• docmel
            • May 2015

Got it Thanks

Comment