Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ExplodingCoffinEmporium
    • Oct 2016

Shovelhead.us forums

I’ve heard about how knowledgeable this forum is and have been able to search a few things but registration has been closed for at least a year I believe. It’s odd because I remember registering a few years back, but no record of it. I wrote the webmaster for the site awhile ago just asking why the closure on registration but never got a reply. Anyone else use this forum that can shed some light?
  • JBinNC
    • Dec 2018

That site has regrettably been closed to new members for a few years now.

There is an alternative, shovelheadforum.com, where you will be more than welcome. Many of us shovelheaders are on both sites. Unfortunately, both forums are light on tech features but we can always hope for more.

Jim

Comment

• Oct 2016

Originally posted by JBinNC
      That site has regrettably been closed to new members for a few years now.

There is an alternative, shovelheadforum.com, where you will be more than welcome. Many of us shovelheaders are on both sites. Unfortunately, both forums are light on tech features but we can always hope for more.

Jim
      Thank you kindly JB, I will try the shovelheadforum.com. It was an odd one to me that they closed registration but it is what it is.

Comment

• farmall
        • Apr 2013

Fortunately the forum remains readable and there's nothing new to be learnt about Shovels (or Evos) at this late date.

The AMCA forums are worth checking out too.

as is https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/board,5.0.html

The Donnie Petersen book is a good read too.

As site operators age out they may prefer to quit working on their site or minimize their labor and as physical infirmity and cognitive decline set in (already sufficiently common for British bike owners to notice along with members dying off) the desire then ability to do anything will fade.

I've not web scraped any fora but really should, and if you like a thread it's a very good idea to save each thread as a web page in it's own named folder. IMO webmasters could make some money selling full forum backups now that large USB flash drives are available. A full backup of the Chop Cult and Jockey Journal forums would be worth a hundred bucks apiece to me because they will not be around forever. The Wayback Machine is far too shallow to help much.

In twenty years the old guys here self included will be dead or moribund so preserving information would help future bikers. That's just part of life. The original 1940s/50s hot rodders are dead too like the earlier T and A Model Ford collectors of the WWII generation.

Is there something you're looking for?

Forums are declining for many reasons, chiefly because so few people own PCs and do all their internet access via phones. Technology is magic to morons and kids who never had a desktop or notebook became adults who have little idea of what a good computer can do for them. Most people were never technologically inclined and phones make life easy because they're disposable and ubiquitous. Too bad because even a phone can act as a desktop via a cheap hub with HDMI for video and USB slots for storage, keyboard and mouse.

Gamers and other techies are into external displays, multiple monitors and desktop peripherals but the overlap with motorcycling is small and in the US riding is an old man's hobby.

Motorcycle forums used to be a great source of information and community. Now they're withering. Here's why.
        Last edited by farmall; 12-14-2022, 1:07 PM.

Comment

• Oct 2016

The shovelhead.us forum to me seemed like a standout in terms of volume of information. It’s inaccessibility(the engine section with 280,000 posts for example) being pulled offline for outside(maybe registered user as well)use is a shame. Only certain sections are available as far as I can tell, so my ability to scrape is cut off.

I have both of Donny’s shovelhead books, the layout could have been a bit better but they are both excellent resources and I enjoy the nice little Fuck you quips he throws at the factory throughout, never hurts to inject a little humor into a technical read.

CC has been great and I’ve saved a lot of info over the years, lot of JBinNC posts saved in my notes haha. With that being said I don’t kid myself into thinking this or any forum isn’t on life support which is a shame considering no social media platform post-forums has managed to function as proficiently as a technical resource tool.

At this time there’s nothing pressing I need to know. I was rebuilding a set of heads and even though it’s not my first rodeo I always like to seek out others opinions regarding tips, tricks, or thoughts on different things to look for which I may have missed.

Comment

• selectedgrub
            • Dec 2009

I guess we were the lucky people.
            It was a moment in time and that forum as well as this was awesome in its day
            I often wonder if Jack is all good.

Comment

• oscarmeyer
              • Sep 2013

pretty sure the forum took a shit because of you posting up your endless self absorbed (your sooo cool ) bull shit creations, have you looked at other guys shit ????

Comment

• Oct 2016

Originally posted by oscarmeyer
                pretty sure the forum took a shit because of you posting up your endless self absorbed (your sooo cool ) bull shit creations, have you looked at other guys shit ????
                Sorry your having a rough one man, hope it gets better for ya.

Comment

• farmall
                  • Apr 2013

Originally posted by oscarmeyer
                  Choppers are folk art kinetic sculptures, not transportation tools (though they may be used for transportation). Humans have created art/"toys"/sculptures/etc since the cave painting era.

Examples from the famous Ron Finch. Art is about self-absorption of the creator expressing their vision. Others may like it or not. They didn't commission it:

The motorcycles in "The Finch Collection" were built by Ron Finch for his personal use. He stores and maintains them in his studio. They are all in working order.

SG does excellent work:
                  I'm thinking about phasing out all the chrome shit and foot controls to brass. Lets see some pics of brass parts you guys have on your bikes or have made.

Perhaps pharmaceutical help is in order.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by farmall; 03-17-2023, 1:16 AM.

Comment

• confab
                    • May 2019

I think it sucks.. The learning curve for noobs is very high. The costs are going up.

Reliable, technical information and real experience is a very valuable thing the more experienced take for granted.

Apparently people still post there? But registration is shut down.

What's the deal with that place?

Comment

• JBinNC
                      • Dec 2018

Originally posted by confab
                      I think it sucks.. The learning curve for noobs is very high. The costs are going up.

Reliable, technical information and real experience is a very valuable thing the more experienced take for granted.

Apparently people still post there? But registration is shut down.

What's the deal with that place?
                      See my post #2, above.

Jim

Comment

• confab
                        • May 2019

Originally posted by JBinNC
                        See my post #2, above.

Jim
                        What happened?

What I see kinda implies a fallout and some trolling..

Comment

• selectedgrub
                          • Dec 2009

LOL oscarmeyer is ac72rat on the shovelhead forum.
                          Sad.

Comment

• JBinNC
                            • Dec 2018

Originally posted by confab
                            What happened?

What I see kinda implies a fallout and some trolling..
                            Shovel Jack at the shovelhead.us forum stopped administering his forum (he's had some health problems). So, one of the members started an alternative forum, and many of us are on both. It's all perfectly amiable; I don't see any falling out or trolling. The new forum is administered closely (although they have some technical issues from time to time). I'm sure you will be welcomed there with yer 45s and such. Give it a look.

Jim

Comment

• farmall
                              • Apr 2013

The timothyferiss account is ChatGPT spam by the wording of that and the other botposts. Do NOT contact etc since all such accounts are spam and scam or other malicious usage.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;