CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default Farmall: Tech Cycle E Start for Panheads

To Farmall: Saw an older post that I beleive said you might have exp with Tech Cycles E start kit for panheads https://techcycle2.com/pan-head-electric-start-kit-2/

I have a 1970, swingarm OEM frame, BDL 1.5" open belt drive (no tin primary) with ratchet top 4 speed

I am looking close at Tech cycles e start kit. My right knee is about gone, its an option Ill need to go to if I want to keep this scoot

Questions:

1. Kit comes with a starter ring to mount on open belt drive clutch baskets (I have a kick only BDL clutch basket) Will the included ring fit, how does it attach?

2. Will I need another clutch arm?

3. How do you like these kits?

4. Is the install pretty straight forward?

4. Are you a dealer in Tech cycle products?

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

I did this one a while back ...

The Tin primary was optional, but the owner wanted to run it ...

Worked as good or better than Oem stuff ...

But for the ease of installation and needing no mods to the primary set-up you already have ...

This would be the way I would go ...

farmal, my apologies for stepping on your toes here ...
    ... Carry on ...
    Last edited by Dragstews; 11-30-2022 at 2:52 PM.

Sorry In my OP I menat dragstews

Get Adobe Flash player

Aaaaaaa ... errrrrrrr

What was the questions

Get Adobe Flash player

I likely referred someone to Dragstews who did the engine work on my Pan plus other stuff. I'm a happy customer!

My Pan project has a five speed that already takes the Denso starter and will run open belt (cool belts are happy belts).

The W&W kit is beautifully made per pics posted elsewhere but I don't care for the four speeds except on restorations.

My interest in Tech Cycle is their Ironhead kit for pre-Denso OSGR Sporties. That will wait since I've more projects than time.

Looks like tech cycle for me. Price is at $1100 Looks like the only mod that needs to be done is some machining to the back of my BDL clutch basket. I can also use my short shaft ratchet top and I am not running tin primaries

Get Adobe Flash player

Sounds like a good plan to me ...

I'm sure you'll be happy with the Tech unit ..

Please post photos of your project once you get into doing the job ..

When you call Tech Cycle make sure you have the tooth count for your belt drive handy ...
    (Might run into a problem with some of the A/M drives)
    Last edited by Dragstews; 12-01-2022 at 2:34 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Do post closeup kit parts pics, especially of the timing side of the kit since the Tech Cycle website design does them no favors (much larger high res pics would sell more product).

Instruction sheet link for others considering the mod:

https://www.techcycle.com/wp-content...structions.pdf

Anyone know if their kit is adaptable to a manually pushed solenoid like other Denso kits? If so that would bypass or eliminate need for external wiring and starter relay.

Based on a common Denso means you'll have wear parts forever. I like to compare all these Denso kits (including Britbike and automobile) because each have interesting design choices.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post

Anyone know if their kit is adaptable to a manually pushed solenoid like other Denso kit ?
    It tis ...

Ill post pics as mentioned. For about 80 bucks you can order a remote start button with mount (no relay needed)

The online instructions are a little vague (at least w/o parts in front of me) Thanks for the inpout, Ill return the favor with pics

But why get a belt tooth count? The starter ring that comes with the kit should answser that mail(?), or are we talking about adjustment room for the pri belt once intsalled. If so, not a deal breaker for me since I run a belt idler pulley for adjusting the pri belt (I can either tighten or loosen at this point

Confused: Here is ANOTHER instr sheet from thier site

https://techcycle.com/wp-content/upl...ctions0508.pdf

It requires a mod to the belt drive clucth basket. I am assuming this is another and seperate product from TC so disregard? (The first set of instructions linked on this post does not mention this mod)

Last is back to the tooth count as mentioned by Dragstews which is not mentioned anywhere but in the genreal description of the kit: Kits can be used with certain 1”, 2”, or 3” primary belt drives (with 76 teeth on clutch basket),

Are they talking about the clutch basket tooth count, or the starter ring count? (I am thinking pulley tooth count?)

Well, looks like a no go. The pan kit requires a 76 belt tooth count clutch basket pulley. Mine is 62 belt count, old style BDL clutch basket.

A new 76 tooth would cost between $350-400 plus dollars just for the clutch basket alone, unless someone has a used one somewhere in an old style BDL clutch basket

Get Adobe Flash player

That sucks ...

Get Adobe Flash player

Crescent Wrench named for the manufacturer not even close to a Monkey Wrench
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CresentWrench.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	8.6 KB 
ID:	109579
    Monkey Wrench named for the shape resembling a monkeys head

Name:	monkeyWrench.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	4.1 KB 
ID:	109580
    Engineers Wrench resembling a Monkey Wrench but having a built in hammer for steam valves.

Name:	EngineersWrench.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	3.7 KB 
ID:	109581
    Dusty

Get Adobe Flash player

... /// https://youtu.be/QblkQ-J6zio \\\ ...

... ...

Get Adobe Flash player

Old belt drives and parts turn up (and you can always ask dismantlers) on Ebay and cheaper on Facebook groups (I only deal with sellers who use PayPal or take cash face-to-face).

What does the back of your existing clutch basket look like?

If a steel adapter ring turned on a lathe then bolted to the hub after drilling and tapping some holes would work that's one way. If an alloy ring adapter can be turned then welded to the old basket that's another.

However I suspect BDL would use the same basket for both models but leave off the ring gear since that's one less part to inventory.

No way I'd sell a Pan for lacking a kicker. If there's no hurry there are multiple ways to solve problems and no need to spend the money at once.
    Last edited by farmall; 12-05-2022 at 7:15 PM.

Thanks for the ebay link, but thats what I have now. Need a 76 tooth basket. Been hitting the i net hard so far, but no joy

I am considering buying the e start now, and just wait to install till a basket turns up or I get another belt drive (ouch)

Get Adobe Flash player

The ten-tooth smaller "wrong" basket will have a much smaller OD givem the same tooth pitch belt. Thickness should be similar but I've not fondled either part.

That of course will not have sufficient material to machine for what is likely (measurements needed) a stock ID ring gear or a stock blank drilled to match Tech's bolt preference. It's generally wise to use as many stock-dimension parts as practical.

A steel ring to make up the difference is worth investigating. Tech will have done the research (perhaps including sawing pulleys in half to check thickness) and measurements so asking them if the idea is feasible wouldn't cost a dime. A ring need not be very thick (consider the loads automotive flex plates survive) to do the job.

If their kit can use a new Rivera/Primo basket their basic kit is in the five hundred dollar range (just the front pulley, basket and belt). I'd do all the interaction via email to avoid reliance on memory.

Ya could send both a link to this thread if ya think it useful.
    Last edited by farmall; 12-05-2022 at 9:20 PM.

Share This