V Twin "Tamer style" clutch retainer kit for '41-'84 BT's questions....

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • docmel
    • May 2015

V Twin "Tamer style" clutch retainer kit for '41-'84 BT's questions....

I've had this kit just laying around for like 10 years and I dug it up today. Its a V Twin Tamer style clutch retainer kit for 41 - 84 big twin basket style clutch basket

Hit this link and look at #9 in the instructions

- It says to NOT use a steel plate on KARATA pri belt drives before installing clutch plates
    - But if installing on a Primo, Phase 3 or Super max belt drive, use an extra steel plate before installing the clutch plates.

Why the difference?

I believe I have a BDL pri belt drive: Should I go with the extra steel plate or not as in #9 above?

Who's ran this kit and your thoughts?
    Last edited by docmel; 11-26-2022, 4:46 PM.
  • docmel
    • May 2015

a
    Last edited by docmel; 11-26-2022, 4:46 PM.

Comment

• docmel
      • May 2015

Guess Ill go with no extra steel plate since I dont have a Karata pri belt drive set up

Just curious why the dif if running a Karata set up

Comment

• JBinNC
        • Dec 2018

It has to do with the location (depth) of the back of the clutch shell relative to the clutch hub. You need an extra steel to shim out the clutch pack to clear the Tamer parts.

I personally favor the RamJet style nylon retainer because it is simpler, easier to install, and does the same job. That is, keeping the clutch shell from walking outboard when the clutch is disengaged.

Jim

Comment

• nmaineron
          • Nov 2010

I agree with JB here. I had an 80-80 FL that had the worse case of the clutch grab. At one time I had the Big Fix, the Tamer and the Ram Jet retainer. This cured the clutch grab but when it came down to it the most effective part was the Ram Jet retainer. I put them on all four speed clutches whether they need them or not. I have to say that a 5 stud clutch hub makes it a little more difficult to use but it will still work.

Comment

• docmel
            • May 2015

Don't see how its harder to install. Myself I always hated those clips that need to be removed/installed in the Ram Jett nylon set up (which I have used on other builds and liked). Also, no need for clutch hub nut lock washer. Guess Ill use what I have as its here and sitting on my bench

Comment

• JBinNC
              • Dec 2018

Originally posted by docmel
              Don't see how its harder to install. Myself I always hated those clips that need to be removed/installed in the Ram Jett nylon set up (which I have used on other builds and liked). Also, no need for clutch hub nut lock washer. Guess Ill use what I have as its here and sitting on my bench
              By all means, use what ya got. Certainly nothing wrong with it.

Jim

Comment

• docmel
                • May 2015

The kit I have does seem over engineered when compared to the Ram Jett

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                Working...
                ;