CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default Shovel swingarm Timken question

Hey everyone, I've searched around for this but haven't found an explanations sufficiently dumbed down enough for me to understand. I've got an 81FX frame and I'm about to replace the bearings on the swingarm. I've heard some folks talk about shimming/ spacing the Timkens. I've got the spacers that come in the kit, but is there any more fine tuning/ shimming I've got to do? What kind of spacing am I looking for on this? Thanks in advance and a pic of the bike for kicks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20221104_215733808.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	305.8 KB 
ID:	109544

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

As long as everything is within spec you shouldn’t need any shim(s). You should have seals, bearings, spacers, and a lock nut washer. Set preload properly and your off to the races.

Sweet! That's what I was hoping, thanks for the advice.

Get Adobe Flash player

The preload method is in the manual. You will need a fish scale, analog preferred. You are going to shoot for a pound of preload measured at the axle. Read and understand the service manual on this, it's important.

Jim

Any truth to this?

"Take any full 12 oz. beverage can, and set it on the swingarm pivot side of the swingarm, right at the shock mount. Tighten up the pivot bolt until the swingarm at level will just hold the can's weight without moving".

Get Adobe Flash player

12 fluid oz of water weighs right about 12 ounces; the can will weigh a little itself - sitting in the back of a tractor right now and don't have a scale to set an empty Coke can on...

Should be in the ballpark, if not exact.

Share This