• Show
Clear All
  • Amp11880
    • Nov 2021

Wheel question

Will a 23x3 wheel fit in a narrow glide hub is 3 9/16 wide
  • ExplodingCoffinEmporium
    • Oct 2016

If the hub is 3-9/16” from bearing to bearing then yes it will fit a narrow glide. OEM hubs which varied in thickness throughout the years are wider than what your are trying to run.

Comment

• JBinNC
      • Dec 2018

Keep in mind that while the wheel may fit within the fork, the tire may not.

Jim

Comment

• farmall
        • Apr 2013

Keep in mind that while the wheel may fit within the fork, the tire may not.
        Wise advise as ugly surprises can happen!

A 23" circle (plus tire of same nominal outside diameter) puts the top edge of the tire 1" closer to the bottom of the triple clamp (half the outside diameter increase) than a common 21" rim, and 2" closer than a 19". Your tire maker might list the OD or you could measure one because tire cross-sections ain't all exactly the same for a given nominal size.

The smart play is bottom the forks (say with a ratchet cargo strap through the stock rim) then measure between tire and bottom triple clamp. That will show how much room you have to work with. It would be sucky surprise to lock the front wheel on a bad bump then washout or get a pavement facial.

If the fork is short enough for a conflict the old PVC fork spring spacer trick can bottom the forks at any point you select.

Comment

• rockman96
          • May 2018

I used to have to drop the pressure on my FXS front tire to get it out past the fender bolts, otherwise the sidewalls would keep the tire from being removed.

Comment

• farmall
            • Apr 2013

^That's common on scoots of the period with 19" front wheels. Calipers can interfere too forcing fender removal to rotate them clear so the tire can pass by.

Comment

• Cooldean69
              • Jul 2021

I have a question that might fit in here, from what I have read the front axle on the sportster has changed sizes throughout the years essentially changing from 3/4” to 1” around 04-05? So my question would be this, have the narrow glide lowers changed hole sizes too? Basically are the narrow glide axels interchangeable or do you need specific year sliders to match your axle?

Comment

• Cooldean69
                • Jul 2021

For example lowbrow sells a wheel spacer kit for their 21” spool wheel said to fit narrow glides 87 and up

For 39mm Narrow Glide Showa Forks, as found on most 1987 & later Harley Sportsters. Made specifically for use with Lowbrow Customs 21" Spool Hub Chopper Wheels. Makes installation fast and easy! Made in the USA

how can this fit any year 87 and up if the axle diameter changed sizes in later years? Or am I just completely mistaken about narrow glide axle sizes

Comment

• farmall
                  • Apr 2013

Easy way to find out what Lowbrow or any other parts fit is call or email their tech support. Advert captions lack detail.

Comment

• Cooldean69
                    • Jul 2021

Well I got a 21” wheel the guy said it was on a sportster but the axel doesn’t fit my narrow glide forks it was probably just a ripoff but the internet said the axel size changed (?) in later years so now idk

Comment

• Oct 2016

Sportster front wheels have a variety of sizes, 3/4”, 1”, and modern comes in 25mm. You need to clarify things a bit as you say the axle doesn’t fit you’re narrow glide, so does that mean you don’t have the original axle that your narrow came with or just that you purchased a wheel and it came with an axle that isn’t playing nice? If you have the original axle that fit your forks just buy wheel bearings whose ID will accept the OD of your axle. If you don’t have the original axle we need to know what the issue is with the new one, as in why doesn’t it fit, so we can help direct.

Comment

• Cooldean69
                        • Jul 2021

Yeah the 21” came with an axel that doesn’t fit my 1996 narrow glide forks, I still have the original wheel and axel. I didn’t think about the bearings thank you for your advice. I’m going to look for some bearings large enough to fit in this wheel but will also fit a 3/4” axle. If anyone has a good resource for bearings it would be appreciated thank you

Comment

• Oct 2016

Originally posted by Cooldean69
                          Yeah the 21” came with an axel that doesn’t fit my 1996 narrow glide forks, I still have the original wheel and axel. I didn’t think about the bearings thank you for your advice. I’m going to look for some bearings large enough to fit in this wheel but will also fit a 3/4” axle. If anyone has a good resource for bearings it would be appreciated thank you
                          Easy breezy for ya, either take a digital caliper and measure everything or pull the parts numbers off your bearings (which will be printed on them) and plug them into google to get your dimensions and then get some Timkens.

Comment

• JBinNC
                            • Dec 2018

Originally posted by Cooldean69
                            If it is an H-D ball bearing wheel, the bearings for 3/4 and 1" axles will interchange in the wheel hub. See your dealership for the factory 3/4 bearings, and a center spacer for the 3/4 axle. This interchangeability may be true for the later 25mm bearings, but I could not say for sure.

Jim

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                            Working...
                            ;