CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Question/opinion

Do 3 degree raked neck cups make any noticeable difference in a bike's stance?

Get Adobe Flash player

Short answer, yes.

When you get down to the nitty-gritty, an inch here or there makes a big difference. And that is especially true when you are tweaking the bike to make it comfortable for you, the rider.

Would I use those offset cups? NO, not on your life. I do not consider them particularly safe because there is much that can go wrong with installation and subsequent service. Your results may vary.

Jim

Get Adobe Flash player

Yes, they do. You'll need longer tubes or spring spacers to really notice it, though.

This is my bike with a set of old, padlock, WG trees (Which I think have about three in them) and 3 degree cups, with longer tubes.

It's not huge, but you can see it.

I love it. It rides fine. I think it looks cool. I wouldn't have it any other way, and I'm just not going to chop my frame up to rake it.

NOTE: If you do this, you will want to watch clearance to your tank. My neck lock works fine, but yours may not. The cups have alignment marks and this is very, very important.. As a misalignment is compounded by the length of the fork and can be quite significant when you get all the way down to the wheel.

These pin into place from the inside to prevent movement. If yours do not, you may want to loctite them or something. They can't move or it will create a big problem for you.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bike new.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

These pin into place from the inside to prevent movement. If yours do not, you may want to loctite them or something. They can't move or it will create a big problem for you.
    Indeed because misaligned tapered roller bearing cups can't be compensated for by triple clamp alignment. Even with pinned parts I'd add locking adhesive (on the pin too to prevent wallowing its hole) as insurance.

If you ever need to remove the specialty cups you can drill the pin (if so fitted), weld some scrap across them (an ancient bearing race removal trick), thaw the locking adhesive with a torch (oxy-acetylene or oxy LP preferred. get 'em hot!) then tap the cups out with a hunk of rod or pipe that fits.

Get Adobe Flash player

This bike pictured has 3 cups as well as another 3 or so in the trees, It also has 4" over fork tubes. Servicar, sidecar, and FXWG style trees will all give you about 3. To keep the cups in place I drilled through the frame and the top part of the cup (or bottom part for the top cup), tapped it 5/16" (I don't remember fine or coarse) and locktited grade 8 bolts in place. The bottom pic shows one bolt in place while I tap the other hole.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mockup919a.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	296.6 KB 
ID:	109542

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	necktap.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	290.4 KB 
ID:	109543

Share This