CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Evo Softail to Swedish Chopper Build

Hey fellas. My name is Eric and I am up in Alberta, Canada. I picked up a 96 softail at the end of riding season. Now that winter has landed in my part of the world, I have begun tearing the bike down. This will be my first "build". I use the term loosely because I will be hiring out the fabrication.

This is how the bike sat when I picked it up:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220905_202703.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	298.3 KB 
ID:	109433

Wideglide is aftermarket, roughly 12" over with high rake billet trees. I hope to reuse everything from the front end but the tubes and headlight / bars.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG-20221008-WA0047.jpg  
    Last edited by AlbertaFarmer; 10-29-2022 at 9:12 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

I will be sending the stock frame out for modifying. Trying for a classic swedish style except using a stock width rear. These are the bikes I am using for a direction I would like to go.

Name:	Screenshot_20221019-202957.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	22.2 KB 
ID:	109434

Name:	Screenshot_20221019-200626.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	109435

Name:	Screenshot_20221022-111715.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	109436

Name:	Screenshot_20210205-162056.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	109437

I would really like to make 30" over tubes work. But I am not sure that it will be possible while building around the factory neck. Once the frame is in the hands of the fabricator, he will see what he can do with it.

Other than the frame work and forks by frank, I am going to keep this as low budget as possible. I buy and sell Harley / chopper parts and have a decent stash to pull parts from. Waiting on a big shipment of a king queen, sissy bar, fender and tail light and then I will post photos of the parts I hope to use.

Get Adobe Flash player

I don't expect progress to be terribly fast by any means. But I will update this thread as I go along.

If anyone has any advice on stripping an Evo Softail to the frame, I would love to hear it!

Thanks
    Eric

Get Adobe Flash player

If the VIN is protected from spatter the rest of a neck is fair game for even radical welding and machining, but the main reason to use a non-tubular neck on a chopper of that style is to save the VIN. (I don't know the rules for registration outside the US.)

If you want a welded tubular neck to resemble a cast neck that would be easy by moulding using the body filler of your preference and even texturing if desired to mimic a casting. Cast components were a legacy of brazed HD frames but they look great so they became an often-important styling element.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    If the VIN is protected from spatter the rest of a neck is fair game for even radical welding and machining, but the main reason to use a non-tubular neck on a chopper of that style is to save the VIN. (I don't know the rules for registration outside the US.)

If you want a welded tubular neck to resemble a cast neck that would be easy by moulding using the body filler of your preference and even texturing if desired to mimic a casting. Cast components were a legacy of brazed HD frames but they look great so they became an often-important styling element.

Hey Farmall, thank you for the reply.

I am not particularly partial to the neck itself, it's the pseudo legality of keeping the stock Vin.

Where I am at, it's quite a hassle to run a custom frame in a legal way. Requires an MSO for everything and government inspections.

There aren't many talented frame men in Canada. I will be shipping this one 3000 miles across the country for the modifications.

Share This