Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dragstews
    • Sep 2010

Photo below shows the first year of the cone motors (1970) ..
    It came from the factory with the old oddball 1/4X24 threads ... (Cam cover bolts, lifter block bolts and oil pump bolts was 1/4X24)

But, didn't stay that way ...
    Somewhere down though it's life the threads got tapped to the 1/4X20 threads ...

Okay ... Popped off the cam cover and took a look at the numbers casted in on the back wall of the case ...

The right side motor case may not be the early first year cone motor...
    What got me thinking was seeing the threads looking so good for 1/4X20...
    If indeed they have been retapped the threads would have looked like a train wreck down the hole ... These didn't have that look ...

So.... Something smells fishy in Denmark and it's not the fish !!

Another clue to this puzzle was seeing a end oiler pinion shaft and cam cover in play ... They didn't come on line till 1973 ...

Motor case ID numbers ends with HO ... Casting numbers inside the cam chest says it a 1977 ...

Oh Boy ...
    Last edited by Dragstews; 10-28-2022, 10:40 AM.
    Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• JBinNC
      • Dec 2018

Originally posted by Dragstews
      Photo below shows the first year of the cone motors (1970) ..
      It came from the factory with the old oddball 1/4X24 threads ... (Cam cover bolts, lifter block bolts and oil pump bolts was 1/4X24)

But, didn't stay that way ...
      Somewhere down though it's life the threads got tapped to the 1/4X20 threads ...

Okay ... Popped off the cam cover and took a look at the numbers casted in on the back wall of the case ...

The right side motor case may not be the early first year cone motor...
      What got me thinking was seeing the threads looking so good for 1/4X20...
      If indeed they have been retapped the threads would have looked like a train wreck down the hole ... These didn't have that look ...

So.... Something smells fishy in Denmark and it's not the fish !!

Another clue to this puzzle was seeing a end oiler pinion shaft and cam cover in play ... They didn't come on line till 1973 ...

Motor case ID numbers ends with HO ... Casting numbers inside the cam chest says it a 1977 ...

Oh Boy ...
      May be a factory replacement case. Yeah, let's go with that.

I rebuilt a '73 FL motor last year. Factory cases from 1986. Completely legit.

Jim

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
      Working...
      ;