Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SoCalGhostGunner
    • Sep 2017

Help Identify This Bike Please.

I purchased an 81 SX 11Special for a project. I am trying to find out if it is a Special or Midnight Special. The serial number starts with 4RO followed by six digits. None of the online serial number or vin decoders have a 4RO listing for Yamaha any year. The paint on the tank appears to be black, the side cover say Eleven Special.

Click image for larger version

Name:	28372466-2718-44D1-B1B9-1788E41E9822.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	1347969
  • Kevins750
    • Jun 2013

I think midnight special would be black motor bike would have gold accents about....

Comment

• TriNortchopz
      • Dec 2017

...The serial number starts with 4RO followed by six digits. None of the online serial number or vin decoders have a 4RO listing for Yamaha any year.
      a 15 second search:

1981 XS1100SH 4R0-000101 Black Blue, Cardinal Red

If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• datadavid
        • Oct 2014

Yep definitely a midnight special, no fun, heavy, detuned motor compared to the pre 1980 bikes

Comment

• farmall
          • Apr 2013

Carl Salter or XS forums should have links to tech data. Performance doesn't matter much on choppers and a detuned Midnight Special still has plenty of torque and somewhere near 100HP.

First thing to do is a compression test to verify engine condition while stripping and dipping the carbs and cleaning the fuel system (I use dummy fuel tanks for testing). Carb boots are likely harder than woodpecker lips and at that age prone to cracking and leaks.

Whatcha gonna turn it into?

Comment

• SoCalGhostGunner
            • Sep 2017

Right now it is a project to help my wife learn to wrench but she is looking at either a tracker or a cafe racer.

Comment

• SoCalGhostGunner
              • Sep 2017

Thank you.

Comment

• datadavid
                • Oct 2014

My ex had a 78 xs11, 98hp stock. She didnt want to wrench, so i rebuilt the top end for her. Needed new pistons, valves and guides and a 1200cc big bore kit from cruzinimage was the most economical option. It went like hell after i was done with it �� i think if you can find 78-79 cams for it buy them! That was the way they downtuned them iirc.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                Working...
                ;