Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JBOSAK
    • Jan 2017

@Jackbosak_ Peoples Champ Build Thread 2023

Hey guys, I am going to start to document my 2023 Biltwell peoples champ build on here as well on my Instagram (@Jackbosak_). The donor bike is a 1995 Heritage Softail. I picked it up yesterday, higher mileage bike but the price was right. My plan with this bike is a bike I can ride long distances on without any hiccups. Built to ride hard and far. Evo with a 5 Speed and I'll probably keep the electric start. I am probably going to do a open belt drive as well. My day job I am a CAD designer so most of the build will be done in solidworks before I start any fab work.
  • JBOSAK
    • Jan 2017

Here is the last bike I built. I had a build thread on here for this one but it somehow got deleted.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	1322964

Name:	4.jpg
Size:	198.2 KB
ID:	1322965
    Some more pictures on this website.

Comment

• farmall
      • Apr 2013

Cobalt blue and black complement each other nicely. Clean scoot proving ordinary humans can afford a classy ride.

Comment

• ExplodingCoffinEmporium
        • Oct 2016

Originally posted by JBOSAK
        Hey guys, I am going to start to document my 2023 Biltwell peoples champ build on here as well on my Instagram (@Jackbosak_). The donor bike is a 1995 Heritage Softail. I picked it up yesterday, higher mileage bike but the price was right. My plan with this bike is a bike I can ride long distances on without any hiccups. Built to ride hard and far. Evo with a 5 Speed and I'll probably keep the electric start. I am probably going to do a open belt drive as well. My day job I am a CAD designer so most of the build will be done in solidworks before I start any fab work.
        Looking forward to the thread man keep on truck’n

Comment

• JBOSAK
          • Jan 2017

Here is my donor bike. It’s almost too nice to tear apart.

Name:	0B2DA2C7-76FB-4527-B2E9-77B71DD16914.jpg
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	1322966Click image for larger version

Name:	CBB5407F-F7CF-44CB-922D-561C034505CC.jpg
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	1322967

Comment

• farmall
            • Apr 2013

Lots of saleable parts are what I see, and the more stuff you remove from a stock Evo (which didn't make much power for its size new) the better.

It would be interesting to weigh the donor and the completed project especially if you hardtail it because that Sloptail ass end is HEAVY. Sprung traditional seats weigh less and unlike purty bar bike seats don't fire your spine out your asshole on bumps. (I strongly suggest taking care of your back because when it goes your life becomes impressively nasty!) That's why my Pan Parts Pile at Drag's has a sprung seat post (you can retrofit those).

Keeping the starter is wise. Ya can always hang a kicker off the five speed for looks and convenience but it's smart to keep a powerful battery because (like with welding machines) ya can't use amps ya don't have.

Being a CAD designer you could do interesting stuff I'm not far enough along to do quickly (chronic pain forced me to quit college after destroying my sleep cycle and I've been busy with my limited time since) like a custom motor plate al la Seaking's very nice work but with e-start provisions. Modern belt drives tend to be gaudy not clean and lack the classic ribs of the Art Deco classic HD design era.

If you do a nice one you only have to code it once and might make some cash off a small, low risk production run. (Maybe trade some CAD work for the machining. Many small machine shops have someone who can do CAD but are either maxed out or not pure CAD draughtsmen.) I've not checked current billet prices but we normally got at least three quotes because prices vary absurdly! Five speed conversions for Shovels are becoming more popular and anything using the Softail shaft center distance would fit many HDs.

You do CAD and chobbers which opens all sorts of options without you coming out of pocket for much. When billet took off it was obviously a way to keep CNC machines running between higher dollar jobs since a machining center that's not running makes no profit. Many shops are maxed right now like my bros but when the next recession hits there will likely be open machine time just like the last one.

Just some food for thought but making (at first) one desirable part made many a biker business. Consider Pingel petcocks. They're so simple someone with a manual chucker lathe (I've met machinists who buy them because they can cycle faster than a CNC for small jobs and pay for themselves the first day, the bastids outbid me so I don't have one) could turn out the parts then send 'em off for plating. While whole belt drive kits would be pointless because the other parts are a saturated market motor plates fit whatever. The ancient HD design is convenient for machinists because the early ones were made using manual equipment so the parts are relatively easy to make.

Comment

• JBOSAK
              • Jan 2017

Farmall, I hope to be able to sell quite a bit of the stock stuff to recoup some cost. I always prefer to buy a complete bike. I bet after the diet I put it on it will weigh a lot less than stock. I have done a few electric start evos with a bdl belt drive. I have to make a starter support shaft and a main shaft support as not many people make that to buy. CAD is definitely a big help. Especially since I can have my computer with me everywhere and can always be working on the bike. Maybe someday I'll be able to find something to design that people would want on their bike. I also recently bought a 3D scanner so that will be huge on this build. Hoping to have something to show by the weekend!

Comment

• JBOSAK
                • Jan 2017

Originally posted by ExplodingCoffinEmporium
                Looking forward to the thread man keep on truck’n
                One day at a time!

Comment

• LisaBallard
                  • Jul 2009

Thanks for creating a build thread, best of luck in the BPC!

Comment

• JBOSAK
                    • Jan 2017

Originally posted by LisaBallard
                    Thanks for creating a build thread, best of luck in the BPC!
                    Not everyone is on Instagram. And ChopCult is where I first started dreaming about building choppers. I hope someday someone digs though this thread and builds something cool because of it.

Comment

• tomsoftail
                      • Jul 2014

I’ll agree with Farmall that a slop-tail doesn’t ride all that well. They’re simply isn’t enough ground clearance. The same rider on a stock Dyna will kill their time from a Softail. They’re good looking but not very agile without a lot of work.
                      I’m excited to see your project

Comment

• JBOSAK
                        • Jan 2017

Got the motor out last night Now to clean up all the stock parts and get those listed to get some money back. The stock frame makes for a good engine/trans stand in one. I find its easier and faster to start fresh instead of adding to the stock frame.

Name:	IMG_1961.jpg
Size:	306.2 KB
ID:	1322973

Name:	IMG_1968.jpg
Size:	297.2 KB
ID:	1322974

Name:	IMG_1980.jpg
Size:	295.0 KB
ID:	1322975

Name:	IMG_3135.jpg
Size:	299.0 KB
ID:	1322976

Name:	IMG_2002.jpg
Size:	295.7 KB
ID:	1322977

Comment

• farmall
                          • Apr 2013

Nice frame cradle, and perfect for this when ya get the chance. It will spoil you. (Now I need a bagger frame or two to slice up for rubbermount stands. I'll visit a dealer and bring my recip saw.)

Yet another engine/drivetrain stand because manual labor sucks. You could do this with any frame you don't care about, not just solid mount Harleys. Stand was ~ 40 bucks, other metal was scrap. It took a lot less effort to make than wrestling an engine once. Chasing engines around the bench means getting them there in the first

Comment

• JBOSAK
                            • Jan 2017

Originally posted by farmall
                            Nice frame cradle, and perfect for this when ya get the chance. It will spoil you. (Now I need a bagger frame or two to slice up for rubbermount stands. I'll visit a dealer and bring my recip saw.)

http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52133
                            That's awesome! Way better than the Sheetmetal ones!

Comment

• JBOSAK
                              • Jan 2017

Doing some 3D scanning of parts I plan to use.

Name:	headlight.JPG
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	1322980

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;