CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Is it safe to run this rim (See video)

Not the greatest set up, got this rim on the cheap, as i was cleaning it up kept noticing something was a little off, so my question is would it be safe to run this rim, maybe a couple of wacks with a big dead blow?

Get Adobe Flash player

Shit no takers? How about this, anyone attempted to remove something like this from an aluminium rim? Any tips?

Get Adobe Flash player

If it's got that axial runout from damage, it's probably got radial runout as well. Best if you replace that one. Pretty common rim, I think, from the pics.

Jim

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by 7and7is View Post
    Shit no takers? How about this, anyone attempted to remove something like this from an aluminium rim? Any tips?
    I’ve never done it on a mag, but have had decent results with pushing out some dings of that magnitude with my hydraulic press and some wood blocking for support, it’s a slow steady process but it’s worked for me.

Get Adobe Flash player

There's a fair sized rim straightening industry but controlling rims is the difficult part (note the stout Acme thread spindle in video). Between shipping both ways plus repair labor and tax it might be worth it but I just swap rims.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d1CEoQSTqI

Get Adobe Flash player

well; since I bought the rim for $90 and I don't want to go through the hassle of shipping it back to the seller and getting my money back, I'm going to have a go at it, currently I have a 2x4 and a C clamp (With a piece of soft aluminium between rim and clamp) applying a hefty amount of pressure on the offending area also applied heat, now going to let it sit like that for a few days then go back with some more heat and another beastly turn of the clamp, way I look at it I got nothing to lose accept a rim I can't use, so I will report any progress made with an accompanying video.

Get Adobe Flash player

OK here is the end result, C clamp was not doing it so I ended up using heat and I big'ol adjustable wrench and some beastly pressure, I think this is acceptable, going to give it a try, no radial run out, sorry about the video apparently youtube makes it a "short" if it isn't long enough.

https://youtube.com/shorts/8aUf0IZQZZg?feature=share

Share This