Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jigoe007
    • Aug 2018

Mikuni 42 HSR with K&N Air Filter

Guys, how do I properly secure a K&N air filter with cover to a Mikuni 42 HSR carb? The bike is a 2001 Sportster. The air filter only has the large hose clamp and there are no brackets. I can't see how the carb slip on connection at the intake manifold can support all that weight. The air filter with cover is ML-092B.
    Attached Files
  • docmel
    • May 2015

Not in the instructions? Try contacting Mikuni tech.

I had the same type carb decades ago and damn if I can remember how I supported it. I seem to remember I had a bracket from the air cleaner backing plate to somewhere on or around a lifter block, or close to it

In your case it looks like your air cleaner base is actually rubber and part of the air cleaner element itself, so that wont work

Comment

• docmel
      • May 2015

I seem to also remember I had a time trying to mount the choke knob as well w/o coming close to hot engine parts, pinching the cable or making it hard to reach the knob in the first place. I beleive I had to make a bracket and mounted the bracket somewhere on or close to the engine

Comment

• JBinNC
        • Dec 2018

Most installations of Mikunis on H-Ds utilize an adapter that allows the stock air cleaner assembly to be used. That helps, because the stock air cleaner also supports and retains the carb, on the evos & twinkies. The bad news is that inlet adapter is awful for flow. I like your air cleaner choice better, but you are on your own for a carb support. And you have to come up with a breather system for the heads as well.

Jim

Comment

• jigoe007
          • Aug 2018

Thanks for the info guys. I was able to find some parts online. I found the adapter that JB mentioned.. adapter for Mikuni to CV type air filter.. Also found a bracket (LowBrow) and breather bolts (TC Bros). I'll try putting it on this weekend and take pictures.

Comment

• jigoe007
            • Aug 2018

Here's what I ended up installing..

Attached Files

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
            Working...
            ;