CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Group Ride Communications

I don't want headphones and I can't hear on them anyway.

Is there an app or a device that will let you just send something simple, like a color signal (Say.. Their phone screen turns red?) with one button to other people you're riding with to signal them to stop or whatever?

Like a Walkie Talkie, but with colors?

Such a thing would be wildly useful, and it should be simple and cheap.

A radio wristband.. An app.. Something along those lines?

Ever heard of something like that?

Last edited by confab; 09-18-2022 at 2:51 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

No. But hand signals always worked for me.

I'd go with Rockman's hand signals. I'm guessing you're not colorblind, but folks like me who are, really don't want to be communicated with using colors. Plus, the hand signals are pretty well established so there's no real need to create a new system.

The key to communication is to understand what is trying to be relayed BEFORE you pull out on the road.

This signal means this, that etc

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by docmel View Post
    The key to communication is to understand what is trying to be relayed BEFORE you pull out on the road.

This signal means this, that etc

Exactly. Even with a small informal ride with buddies it's helpful to have a quick "riders meeting" before taking off. I've been on so many annoyingly unorganized rides where the groups end up being split up. I even got left once to do the entire (short) ride by myself on a ride that I organized. I learned after that.
    Also learned from the organizer after doing a few vintage enduro rides where there are tons of breakdowns.

Some of the basic rules.

Show up with a full tank so you don't have to head straight to the gas station after finally getting a group of folks to roll out.

If you look behind you and see someone is missing stop. Hang out for a minute as it's often just a quick fix or something fell off. If they don't show up after 5 minutes go back to find them.

If everyone in front of you misses the turn, stop and wait right there. If they use the above advice then they will be back to get you and take the turn together.

Make sure everyone knows the entire route.

Share This