Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Skipelmore
    • Feb 2020

Spoke question

Am I incorrect in thinking that spokes will be a little long and you trim and grind them once you finished making the wheel true? Also what is the difference between steel rim spokes and aluminum rim spokes?
  • ExplodingCoffinEmporium
    • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Skipelmore
    Am I incorrect in thinking that spokes will be a little long and you trim and grind them once you finished making the wheel true? Also what is the difference between steel rim spokes and aluminum rim spokes?
    I’m going to take this is a serious post and assume your not trolling us. Use steel spokes and no you do not grind or trim spokes, install the correct spokes in the correct manner and there shouldn’t be any issues.

Comment

• JBinNC
      • Dec 2018

Originally posted by ExplodingCoffinEmporium
      I’m going to take this is a serious post and assume your not trolling us. Use steel spokes and no you do not grind or trim spokes, install the correct spokes in the correct manner and there shouldn’t be any issues.
      I will take exception to this answer.

I have been using Buchanan's spokes for 4 decades, and I think they know a thing or two.

In most cases, once the wheel is trued and the spokes tightened, the end of the spoke will protrude through the nipple. It needs to be ground off flush. Buchanan's includes this step in their instructions.

The difference in steel and aluminum rims is that the aluminum is of course much thicker and may need a slightly longer spoke. Note too, that rims have different cross-sectional shapes, and that means you may need different spokes for different style rims, even if the rim size is the same.

I would recommend Buchanan's to ANYONE who needs spokes for a motorcycle (or automobile) wheel.

Jim

Comment

• Skipelmore
        • Feb 2020

Im not trolling. I am wondering cause I got these spokes off of JP cyclesClick image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220906-172144_Samsung Internet.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	294.8 KB
ID:	1322871 they said for 18" rim. The spokes I took out of the wheel measured 7&7/8" the new ones measured 8". The package also said for aluminum rim while the ones I selected said for steel rim.

Comment

• Skipelmore
          • Feb 2020

Thanks. This helps a lot.

Comment

• JBinNC
            • Dec 2018

I think you will be fine with a 1/8" longer spoke. Sometimes you have to try different sets to get one that truly fits. I ran into this trying to spoke the '30s style 18" H-D rims. I think I finally hit it on the third spoke set. (These did not come from Buchanan's. If they had, they would have fit first try.)

With the right spoke, the nipple does not bottom on the threads, and no threads will be showing on the spoke once tightened.

Jim

Comment

• flatman
              • Sep 2017

They also make longer nipples (insert joke here) for to short of a spoke. Not ideal, cause you want the spoke to go all the way to the rim, but it is an option.

Comment

• toglhot
                • Nov 2021

That would depend on the bike and the spoke manufacturer: Most manufacturers make spokes for the popular bikes, so the spoke should be the right length. However if the spokes have been ordered by length and not by bike you will probably have to trim some off.

Comment

• Skipelmore
                  • Feb 2020

Thanks for the advice.

Comment

• ExplodingCoffinEmporium
                    • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Skipelmore
                    Im not trolling. I am wondering cause I got these spokes off of JP cycles[ATTACH=CONFIG]109093[/ATTACH] they said for 18" rim. The spokes I took out of the wheel measured 7&7/8" the new ones measured 8". The package also said for aluminum rim while the ones I selected said for steel rim.
                    Thanks JB that is a good piece of info. I’ve done a few sets of wheel rebuilds and either have gotten lucky or more than likely have always bought upper end spoke sets, so I’ve never actually had to trim a spoke down. Learn something new everyday as honestly I’d probably be pissed and have sent a set back due to that issue. Skipelmore, my apologies, wasn’t meaning to call you out as well and glad JB could give you more accurate info.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                    Working...
                    ;