Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 2012Redneckrocket
    • Jun 2022

Electrical switch

I bought a keyed electrical switch for turning on power to my chopper. I have 8 gauge wire from the battery to the switch and from the switch to the dc bus. The question I have is the wire diagram doesn't show a negative terminal so I am assuming it's internally grounded. If it is internally grounded should I run the negative terminal to the frame? Below is a link to the switch I have and a picture of the dc bus to give you an idea of whY I'm talking about.

Attached Files
  • rockman96
    • May 2018

I've not seen one of those, but it looks like a fused distribution block. Is this correct? Get a VOM and check for continuity between the negative post and the terminals (circled in red.) If this is the case, you should connect the negative post to a frame ground using a star washer.

As for ignition switch, again, if its not some new shit that I haven't seen, you don't ground them. The switch case is automatically grounded due to mounting, but that's all.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Distribution.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	250.4 KB
ID:	1322868

Comment

• 2012Redneckrocket
      • Jun 2022

Sorry I had a confusing question before. I bought an electrical keyed switch turning for turning power on and off to my motorcycle. The question is which terminal do I connect the negative terminal too? I have attached the picture of the wire diagram and a picture of the switch it only shows connecting the positive is the switch internally grounded?Click image for larger version

Name:	20220907_121926.jpg
Size:	286.9 KB
ID:	1322873

Comment

• 2012Redneckrocket
        • Jun 2022

Originally posted by 2012Redneckrocket
        Sorry I had a confusing question before. I bought an electrical keyed switch turning for turning power on and off to my motorcycle. The question is which terminal do I connect the negative terminal too? I have attached the picture of the wire diagram and a picture of the switch it only shows connecting the positive is the switch internally grounded?[ATTACH=CONFIG]109100[/ATTACH]
        Here is the wire diagram Click image for larger version

Name:	20220907_151957.jpg
Size:	293.3 KB
ID:	1322874

Comment

• Revelator
          • Aug 2009

forget the ground wire you don't need or want one on that switch.

wire it like the diagram shows.
          the Battery Positive goes to the lower screw post

the Starter Connection goes to the center screw post. It actually wires to
          the Starter Relay (not the actual starter).

the Left screw post is the Accessory connection. I'm not sure what bike you have, so
          I can't say exactly where it goes, But it is basically for lighting, horn, etc.

The switch needs no ground, It is simply distributing the 12 volt positive voltage to
          the switch contacts. In other words there is no electrical load by the switch itself.

Comment

• 2012Redneckrocket
            • Jun 2022

That's what I thought thanks for responding! If anybody has a link to a 12 volt keyed 2 position switch preferably with post with nuts screw down to make it easier to attached 8 gauge cable I would be greatly appreciated? I need it to power my dc buss picture in the beginning of the post. I have 8 Guage wire ran to where the switch will be and from there to the dc bus once turned on.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
            Working...
            ;