Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dylan529
    • Feb 2019

Springer selection

I'm wondering what the best way to select the length of front end I need.
    I'm running a 16 rear rim and 18 front in a wishbone frame. I'd like the bike to sit a little high in the front. The rake is close to stock.

I've been looking at a couple springers on lowbrow. I'm looking for something that will accept my star hub wheel. I'd also like to run a mechanical drum.

Could anyone guide me through selecting a front end and a drum? I have no issues with making new spacers or even an axel. But I'd like to find something that will require minimal modifications.
  • DustyDave
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

If'n I am raking I get that done first then I install the type of forks that I plan to run. Then I strap the rear wheel to the lift. Then I raise the frame with a little trolley jack to how I want it to set then I put the wheel in line with where the forks would be if long enough then allowing for normal fork compression I measure. Taint rocket science.
    Dusty
    Driving that train, high on cocaine
    Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
    Trouble ahead, trouble behind
    And you know that notion just crossed my mind​

Comment

• drivermark
      • May 2015

This might help

Comment

• ExplodingCoffinEmporium
        • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Dylan529
        I'm wondering what the best way to select the length of front end I need.
        I'm running a 16 rear rim and 18 front in a wishbone frame. I'd like the bike to sit a little high in the front. The rake is close to stock.

I've been looking at a couple springers on lowbrow. I'm looking for something that will accept my star hub wheel. I'd also like to run a mechanical drum.

Could anyone guide me through selecting a front end and a drum? I have no issues with making new spacers or even an axel. But I'd like to find something that will require minimal modifications.
        So much more info is needed and even then there’s personal taste to take into consideration. “Rake is close to stock” means exactly what degree of rake, you need to be more precise as this will alter what your fork length is. “Like the bike to sit a little high in the front” once again kind of subjective, does that mean +2, +4, +6 over??? Need to be more precise. Money is also a factor, do you want to splurge on a Paugcho setup or are you more in the Moto Iron realm of things?

I mean a front drum is a front drum for a starhub, not a million options out there, just make sure it functions with your hub. You will need to consider the width of your hub and drum prior to purchasing a springer as if you go too narrow it will fuck your ability to run said drum.

Comment

• farmall
          • Apr 2013

Post photos of bikes you like and others can tell you the approximate dimensions to get there.

Comment

• Dylan529
            • Feb 2019

I'm thinking of roughly doing it the way dusty Dave was saying.
            Maybe I could block the frame up to the position I want and then position the front wheel and take a measurement to the axel. Maybe use a laser level somehow for accuracy. Maybe.

I don't really have any exact measurements, I kind of want to mock it up, look at it and decide what I want from there.

I was looking at the stock length cannonball ibeams. It only comes In one length and mentions something about being set up for a specific type of brake and something about the axle size
            I was also looking at the mid USA " antique style", it says it's set up for disk brakes and a 3/4 axle.

So I'm going for a classic look on the front using star hubs.
            I'm not very familiar with all this , what fits what.
            I'd hate to buy a chrome or coated part and then have to grind and weld to it if I didn't have to.

I'll get out tomorrow and take picture so people can see what I'm dealing with

Comment

• rockman96
              • May 2018

Originally posted by Dylan529
              I'd hate to buy a chrome or coated part and then have to grind and weld to it if I didn't have to.
              When you are building a bike, the bike needs to get fully built at least once before any finishing (i.e. paint, etc.) is done. Ride it. Things will change, better ways will be realized, and when it is just the way you want it go for the chrome and paint.

Comment

• DoomBuggy
                • Oct 2016

^^ This is spot on ^^

I can't count the number of times I needed to add a bracket to support wiring or a fender or whatever. Sucks to ruin a good paint job by rushing the build.

Comment

• Dylan529
                  • Feb 2019

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220904_140106.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	336.3 KB
ID:	1322860

I mocked things up the way I think it will look. Pretty sure if I use a 4 over front end it will look okay.
                  If I were to use the mid USA from lowbrow, it says there's 8. 75" between the rockers, is that enough room for a drum to fit in?

And would I be able to press bushings in to the 3/4 rockers to accept the proper axel for the hub?

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                  Working...
                  ;