Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jigoe007
    • Aug 2018

Front End Issues

For some reason my original Sportster 1200C front axle is about 3/4 in. too short! I'm re-using the original lower fork legs, bearing spacers and axle but I'm also using a new Harley Davidson 21 x 2.15 in. wheel (yes OEM) with new bearings (bearings are seated flush). Also, the GMA caliper centers nicely over the rotor but the rotor edge is rubbing against it!

Off by 3/4 inch is quite a lot! I wish I didn't sale my original front wheel and caliper! I guess I'll have to buy a longer axle and buy a smaller rotor or trim some material off the caliper!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jigoe007; 08-27-2022, 4:59 PM.
  • jigoe007
    • Aug 2018

I have a 300 mm rotor mounted when I need a 11.5 inch. That explains the contact with the caliper..

Comment

• ExplodingCoffinEmporium
      • Oct 2016

I’m trying to make sense out of this as your using the same fork lowers, are you certain your axle isn’t just binding up in or against the hub? If so just bring it to a machine shop and have them adjust it on a lathe to fit unless you can turn it yourself. In terms of the brake, need more pics, might need a different rotor, looks pretty close though.

Comment

• jigoe007
        • Aug 2018

Yeah, I had the wrong rotor on (300 mm). I'm installing a 11.5 inch hopefully next weekend! For the axle, you can see in the first picture that the axle is in the correct position. The opening on the left end of the axle does not go past the lower fork opening.

Comment

• jigoe007
          • Aug 2018

This is not my bike.. but here's what the axle position should look like when installed and torqued down.
          Attached Files

Comment

• jigoe007
            • Aug 2018

I found out I had the wrong spacer on the right side!

Comment

• ExplodingCoffinEmporium
              • Oct 2016

Originally posted by jigoe007
              I found out I had the wrong spacer on the right side!

Good to hear man, figured it was a bind somewhere, we’ve all been there amigo.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
              Working...
              ;