• Skipelmore
    • Feb 2020

Is this still considered a star hub?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220821_122532.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	310.7 KB
ID:	1347915
    I just got this 18”-2.5 rear wheel. I still need to get the bearings and spacers. Really any info would be helpful.Click image for larger version

Name:	20220821_122550.jpg
Size:	300.5 KB
ID:	1347916
  • ExplodingCoffinEmporium
    • Oct 2016

Appears to be a 70’s sportster rear wheel, especially considering the dimensions you have described 18x2.5. Not a starhub in any which case. 43004-70 maybe, so 1970-78 maybe.?

Just went and checked the wheel shelf as I thought I had that exact wheel sitting around and I do, definitely came off an Ironhead as well. If I get a sec I’ll pull it down and grab some info as it’s still got a tire and bearings installed.
    Last edited by ExplodingCoffinEmporium; 08-21-2022, 12:16 PM.

Comment

• Skipelmore
      • Feb 2020

It is stamped 43004-70. Any bearing info would be a help. I was planning on running these tiresClick image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220816-221757_Samsung Internet.jpg
Size:	274.1 KB
ID:	1322806
      Last edited by Skipelmore; 08-21-2022, 1:56 PM.

Comment

• JBinNC
        • Dec 2018

That eight bolt rear hub has been used from '52 - '78 for the K and XL models, with some differences of bearings through the years. It is for the drum rear brake.

It is definitely not a "star hub," which was a big twin hub from the '30s knucks up through the '66 shovelheads, for both front and rear positions.

Jim

Comment

• Oct 2016

Originally posted by Skipelmore
          That would be a huge help
          Ahhh no bearings sorry, yea on pic at least. What are you trying to mount this wheel to?

Name:	C5420BCC-4602-40AF-BD05-5838619E2AC8.jpg
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	1322805
          Last edited by ExplodingCoffinEmporium; 08-21-2022, 1:32 PM.

Comment

• Skipelmore
            • Feb 2020

Are you using that?

Comment

• Skipelmore
              • Feb 2020

Name:	20220622_140806.jpg
Size:	300.3 KB
ID:	1322807
              I have a 65 ironhead frame the 16" wheel I have is to small

Comment

• Oct 2016

Yeah it would have originally been a 3.5x18 front and rear wheel then. Do you have any part numbers on the wheel to verify it’s bearing need or designation? Although your running a hardtail frame so what’s gonna fit and spacing requirements are going to be altered possibly from that of a stock machine. If you wanna run the 2.5x18 you can make it work, just figure out your axle size, bearing ID and OD, spacers, and your off to the races. Do you already have the drum setup your going to use as well?

Unfortunately a good friend of mine has claim to that wheel as she’s rebuilding a 72’ herself.

Comment

• Skipelmore
                  • Feb 2020

Right on. I'm hoping to use a 3/4 axle. I replaced the bearings on the 16" wheel I have so making spacers isnt difficult. I'll look for any other markings on the wheel for bearings. I don't have a drum yet but I have a couple places I can look for one.

Comment

• JBinNC
                    • Dec 2018

Right on. I'm hoping to use a 3/4 axle. I replaced the bearings on the 16" wheel I have so making spacers isnt difficult. I'll look for any other markings on the wheel for bearings. I don't have a drum yet but I have a couple places I can look for one.
                    That XL wheel you have takes ball bearings that are standard metric sized ball bearings. The original XL axle is what you will need (if it's wide enough for your hardtail.

Jim

Comment

• Skipelmore
                      • Feb 2020

Thanks for the info

Comment

• Skipelmore
                        • Feb 2020

Hey it’s been a little while since I started this thread but what tire is on that wheel of yours?

Comment

• Oct 2016

Hey it’s been a little while since I started this thread but what tire is on that wheel of yours?
                          4.25x18

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                            • Dec 2017

Guessing you saw this:

IH: Wheels, Brakes & Tires

Tapered Bead Rims

The “special” tapered wheels that were paired to the “special” tapered bead rims were known as “C-section” rims. 188)
                            “C-section” rims can be positively identified after the tire is removed from the rim by the part numbers stamped in rim.
                            The taper was at the 'normally flat' area from the inside bead seat corner and the shelf edge at the drop towards the drop center.
                            The metal 'shelf' tapered toward the center with a safety hump just before the drop down.
                            This was a “special package” buy from Goodyear with the rim included since you couldn't buy the tires to properly fit the rims anywhere else but them.

“C-section” Rim Part#s for “High Ground Clearance” Sportsters:
                            Steel Rims:
                            Front (43003-70) 19 x 2.50C
                            Rear (43004-70) 18 x 2.50C
                            Aluminum Rims:
                            Front (43010-70) 2.50C-19
                            Rear (43008-70) 2.50C-18

Tapered Bead Tires

Starting in 1970, Harley Davidson partnered with Goodyear for new “special” tires and rims for standard “high ground clearance” Sportster models. 213)
                            The tires are identified on the sidewall as (front - 3.75 x 19 Sport Rib and rear - 4.25 x 18 All Traction)
                            The MoCo has written that these tires must be used exclusively for replacement on the special “C-secton” rims.
                            These rims have a special tapered bead seat with a safety hump at the top of the center drop.
                            By design, standard tires such as Goodyear 3.50 x 18, 4.00 x 18 or 3.25/3.50 x 19 sizes will not fit correctly on these rims and are an unsafe replacement...
                            * 18” tires and tubes were not interchangeable between cast and laced (wire spoke) wheels. The bead diameter of the MN90-18 tire was app. 0.075“ (app. the thickness of a nickel) larger than the 4.25-18T tire."

Problems Associated with Drum Brake Rear Hubs

Article by Dr Dick of the XLFORUM 1)
                            If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• Skipelmore
                              • Feb 2020

I did find this. I am now wondering what tires to use if these are for tapered bead. I don’t seem to find any options unless newer style tires will work.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;