CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default Shovelhead sputtering at full throttle

Hello,

I got a 1973 Shovelhead which has issues when go full throttle, in every gear.
    When I give it a quarter to half throttle it runs fine and can ride it to around 50mph.
    Can't go faster, because than the engine sputters/ is stumbling.

1200cc, S&S Super E with 0.295 intermediate jet and 72 main jet. Upsweep fishtails exhaust (with custom mufflers made in, does that care?).
    I rode with an 76 main jet and switched today to 72, it gave the engine more power and it goes a little bit faster (55 mph), but still issues at full speed/throttle.

Engine starts great, 1/2 kicks, cold and warm. What should I check now to give full throttle?

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Assuming the ignition is good (coil, wires, plugs, points if any) and the timing is correct, keep jetting down until it cleans up. Here in the humid South, I find a 68 main jet is the right answer more times than not.

Jim

Thank you. Yes, ignition and timing are correct. I will order a smaller main jet, will buy a 70 and 68 and give it a try. Should the intermediate jet keeping at 0.295?

Referring to https://www.sscycle.com/docs/default...g.pdf?sfvrsn=0

Get Adobe Flash player

You are right in the middle of the intermediate jet choices that work. You might try a 28 intermediate, and if the motor is smooth at 50 mph cruise, that would be OK. Bike might not accelerate as hard with the 28. Just a matter of experimentation and choosing what you like.

Jim

Get Adobe Flash player

Let me guess, runs great until you hold it on full throttle where it accelerates for a second or two and then starts sputtering like crazy? If so, read on...

That is what my panhead with a Super E did until Jim gave me the solution. My carb is an old one with a fixed air bleed that controls when the main jet kicks in. Jim had me slowly open that air bleed up a little at a time until the sputter cleared up.

Now if you have a newer Super E with the adjustable bleeder then you could just change it. I'm on the road today otherwise I would post up pictures, but Jim can explain it better then I can anyhow.

@DoomBuggy, yes thatís my experience since changing the main jet from 76 to 72. It has a little bit power for 1-2 seconds and than it sputters. With the 76 jet it didnít have even that power, so getting closer.

I have the old version S&S Super E. Plugs are black when I checked them.

Get Adobe Flash player

Here is a link to my thread on the issue, follow at your own risk, lol.

https://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56262

Check easy things first:

1. Running an inline gas filter? Most off the shelfs can constrict fuel flow
    2. Filthy petcock screen filter or filthy pet cock? Un beleivable how gummed up a pet cock or its in tank screen filter can be
    3. Adjust the accel pump as per SS intructions?

Share This