Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ScottSpeed
    • Jul 2022

Dellorto / Weber on Shovelhead in 2022

Hello everyone and I hope all is well with you all!!

I have an 83' FLHT shovelhead that's hopped up and would like to do something different here.

I have an idea I've been kicking around and I know that there are easier options for obtaining the same performance, but I want the different cool factor as well as the experience trying them out.

So the question I have at hand is: How is the current situation / market for the side draft carb options for our older harleys? Is there anyone still making the necessary parts to keep one of these carbs going as well as sourcing the appropriate jets, chokes, info, and all that people have bought from recently? I've found a few company's that still sell rebuild kits, jets, and other small items for the two different carbs but they are companies I have never heard of and their sites look dated so I was unsure if they were still functioning or not. Anyone have any experience here?

I see that there are currently people selling dellorto's and webers on ebay that are setup for harleys. So out of the two which would be the better option for ease of tunability?? (It will depend a lot on who is still around & available that knows these carbs and how to tune them for a harley motor that would also be willing to share their knowledge)

I've read that the dellorto has a better progression circuit as well as smaller increment jets to allow finer tuning. Also does the Weber require a fuel pump while the dellorto does not? as that would also sway my decision on this. However I found this company still making the jets and kits for the Weber carb more tailer for using on a harley:

I also found that there is a tuning guide for the Dellorto on a Harley by Jack Wagner but I can't find any way to get a copy whatsoever.

From my understanding the Weber DCOE came first, then the Dellorto DHLA was their improved version of that side draft. Finally Weber improved their first design with the DCOM. I believe the Dellorto DHLA is a better carb with the DHLA-E being even better and allows balancing of each throat in the one carb but also being harder to find, DHLA with other letters than E mean its an emission model I believe?

I don't know anything about the Weber DCOE models or revisions. Is there a certain Weber I should be looking for this specific application?

I didn't want to buy any old Dellorto or Weber as one coming from a car is going to be setup entirely different that what I will be needing with the shovelhead correct? I feel like I would be wasting money as then I would have to buy all appropriate jets, chokes, and possible needle and seat instead of just starting with one that's already been ran on a harley and is much closer to what I will be needing already.

I'd love to find someone who would be willing to let me pick their brain about the subject and it's pros and cons.

Anyhow thank you all for taking the time to read all this and my many questions. I hope to hear something soon!!
    Thank you and kind regards!

Lincoln

(PS If anyone wants to let go of one of these setups I'd sure be interested!!)
  • docmel
    • May 2015

The Del Orto/weber thing was popluar in the late 70's into the 80's and then kinda went away. I cant speak for how they worked, but some complained about how far they stuck out into the drivers leg. Myself, I beleive it was form over function. Something exotic looking: folks wanted something that looked different. I cant speak for how they worked, but you didnt see many set ups actually on the street

Comment

• ScottSpeed
      • Jul 2022

So I've been doing some researching and reading and I have found a few different companies that still sell all the jets, chokes, venturis, rebuild kits, and everything else you may need for either the Dellorto or the Weber.

I may try one out and hate it but I'd like to at least give it a try. I've always enjoyed setting up a good carb and to me these are almost like jewelry so I could see it being something cool. S&s super carbs are great but they suck on efficiency.

I'd like to see what I can obtain comparing the two setups possibly.

Comment

• Smiley
        • Jun 2012

The carb selection depends on whether you want something that looks cool or something that works for your bikes purposes. I have a Weber on my shovel which used to be a drag bike but I ride it on the street every now and then which is totally impractical as the powerplant is meant for balls to the wall full throttle use so it's largely a waste around town but it looks cool at the local watering holes.Click image for larger version

Name:	weber.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	1322773

Comment

• ScottSpeed
          • Jul 2022

Originally posted by Smiley
          The carb selection depends on whether you want something that looks cool or something that works for your bikes purposes. I have a Weber on my shovel which used to be a drag bike but I ride it on the street every now and then which is totally impractical as the powerplant is meant for balls to the wall full throttle use so it's largely a waste around town but it looks cool at the local watering holes.[ATTACH=CONFIG]108948[/ATTACH]
          Yeah I understand these can be a task to get the street manners down on them. I'd like to at least try to see what I can make out of it. If anything it will be a learning experience haha.

May I ask a few questions regarding your setup?

Do you have a fuel pump on that bike? If not, what was changed to allow that?

Do you possibly know what the current setup is with your carb? (Jets, chokes, idle jets? etc?)

I have also come to understand that the Webers require you to use the velocity stacks to basically hold down the venturi at the mouth of the carburetor otherwise they can wiggle around freely? Is that something you are familiar with?

I agree that they look awesome!! I have heard of folks using them on engines ranging from 1000cc up so I dont see why one couldn't be made to work efficiently on a shovelhead/ ironhead/ evo. The only thing I can think would be an issue is that pulses that the engine makes for vacuum is quite different and less than most car engine so I believe that to be the culprit of many tuning issues with these.

Thoughts?

Thank you!!!!

Comment

• docmel
            • May 2015

Another issue with these carbs: Air filter set ups. Are they avaialable for bike set ups? I would never run a street motor w/o one.

Start checking prices on parts for these carbs. Ill bet they are pretty pricey

Comment

• Zeeman
              • Feb 2015

Comment

• Zeeman
                • Feb 2015

Here's the info MPD used to supply with their Webers in the 1970's. with some baseline jetting info. They made manifolds to suit which still pop up for sale (make sure you get one with the nub on bottom for attaching a carb support bracket, essential with these. )

There is a guy on instagram Brian Pennington (@sixballchoppers ) that regularly sells Weber and Dellorto setups for Harleys.

As far as air cleaners go I like the Ramflo ones, good filtering while still looking kinda vintage.

Comment

• Smiley
                  • Jun 2012

All of my setup came from Magnuson

Comment

• docmel
                    • May 2015

Where you at on this OP?

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                    Working...