Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ExplodingCoffinEmporium
    • Oct 2016

Ultrasonic cleaners man

I’m probably late to the game with this shit in terms of realizing this is more affordable and practical than I had thought. Ultrasonic cleaners for parts cleaning, looks like a solid investment. I was looking at the 22L rigs for $200+ and it seems like a solid purchase for the garage. Anyone mess around with the Vevor cleaners or have recommendations?
    Last edited by ExplodingCoffinEmporium; 08-09-2022, 5:18 PM.
  • rabies
    • May 2019

i will tell you the smaller ones from ebay work but not worth more than $50 of cleaning.
    theres a YouTube channel about chainsaws. chainsaw mike or something like that.
    he has alot of sonic cleaner videos.
    you can use jars and toss into the fluid.
    plastic jars don't reverberate frequencies like glass.
    glass jar with gasoline in it works super good. put jar in plain water in the tank.
    iv done this with simple green. it dies anodizes aluminum in a away though FYI.
    the key would be to use the fright solvent for the right metal/plastic.
    heat does help if its grease.
    they are loud and annoying.
    put them in a vented cabinet for quietness.
    you don't have to have the lid on them to have them work.
    water can be pretty hot wen done....like real hot.
    always make sure you have plenty of water in it . if the water is low you can burn the cleaner inducer thingy out.

may not be a product suggestion.
    but i would suggest not buying a small one.

Comment

• confab
      • May 2019

Good move asking for direct experience with them before you purchase.

I've used them in a lab environment. But not in a garage. I dunno how they would work?

I suspect they would be effective against hard deposits and almost useless against rubbery grease.

They work at high frequencies and will do surprising things, like shake the carbonation right out of a drink and shake the screws out of a pair of eyeglasses.

But I suspect anything "rubbery" would be unaffected.

Comment

• Oct 2016

Originally posted by confab
        Good move asking for direct experience with them before you purchase.

I've used them in a lab environment. But not in a garage. I dunno how they would work?

I suspect they would be effective against hard deposits and almost useless against rubbery grease.

They work at high frequencies and will do surprising things, like shake the carbonation right out of a drink and shake the screws out of a pair of eyeglasses.

But I suspect anything "rubbery" would be unaffected.
        Thanks Confab. A good diesel mech bro of mine volunteered to do a CV carb of mine years ago at his shop as they have one and it turned out great. At the time I figured it was a high ticket item as his shop does Rig shit that runs big dollar but recently I saw a video by Pacific Mike as well as a post on the XS650 boards regarding it and was kind of like shit that seems practical. I’m gonna research more into it, seems like a lot of it depends on the solution your using and what your hoping to achieve. I figure though for the amount of parts I end up picking up along the way as well as standard home use shit and tool cleaning probably wouldn’t be a bad purchase.

Comment

• farmall
          • Apr 2013

We used a cheap one at the shop where I worked and the extra agitation was well worth it to speed carb cleaning. They should really be called "vibratory fluid cleaners" but ultrasonic sounds cool.

I didn't feel the need to own one since I've many ways to clean metal and soaking in undiluted Pine-Sol works better than the pathetic crap they auto stores now sell as carb cleaner (and you can flush it down the sink or toilet to clean the pipes too).

The little cleaners are annoyingly small. A vibratory mechanism to shake a stainless steam table tray or tub of larger size would be more desirable for doing stuff like racks of carbs.

Comment

• DoomBuggy
            • Oct 2016

I picked up an Eastwood vibrating cleaner some years ago, works well for cleaning nuts and bolts and such, but I can't recall if an S&S Super will fit in there.

Comment

• Oct 2016

Originally posted by DoomBuggy
              I picked up an Eastwood vibrating cleaner some years ago, works well for cleaning nuts and bolts and such, but I can't recall if an S&S Super will fit in there.
              Yeah the one I’m looking at can fit some pretty decent sized parts in it at 20inx12inx5in. I’m gonna definitely research around a bunch though, don’t need shit I’m not gonna use a ton taking up real estate.

I’ve never used straight pinsol in the garage, gonna have to give that a whirl at some point.

Comment

• FMC1
                • Dec 2021

Originally posted by farmall
                ...soaking in undiluted Pine-Sol works better than the pathetic crap they auto stores now sell as carb cleaner (and you can flush it down the sink or toilet to clean the pipes too).
                This is something I need to try out, never used Pine-Sol before 👍

Comment

• confab
                  • May 2019

Would a large media tumbler be more useful, generally?

We get some used parts in from time to time that have been tumble cleaned and they look fantastic.

Some of them have delicate areas. They protect those with cardboard and tumble away.

This is something I need to try out, never used Pine-Sol before

Ditto here.. Farmall is full of tricks.

Comment

• farmall
                    • Apr 2013

Tumblers are great for stuff to be cleaned with abrasive (which ain't everything but are many things). I'd consider them "not competition" as they're so different but the tumbler is a great way to derust small parts (or select big ones, we had a large Wheelabrator at the electrical rebuilders where I worked that would take heaps of starter and generator housings).

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                    Working...
                    ;