CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default Shovel wiring spot check

Fellas,

just picked up this 83 recently and I'm working on redoing the wiring. PO did a really great job but hid a bunch of breakers under the dash and I want to run the split tanks without one, so just trying to clean it all up. He has a lever push starter (im sure you all will know the brand) and a relay under the battery (stock?) which I've included pictures of. Just wanted to send this up to the chopper gods before I start cutting up all his good work. Considering a toggle for the H/L headlight and also a toggle switch instead of a key. I know I'll get shit for it but in Socal if someone wants to steal your bike they put it on a truck and drive away. Ive had toggles on my bikes before and hate worrying about a key. This is my first shovel and just want to make sure I don't roast anything. 74in kick/electric start with Dyna S ignition. Forgive me if I've called something that it's not. Ive included a kick only diagram I found on the forum that I used as a template. Let me know what I've missed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen Shot 2022-08-06 at 1.29.35 PM.jpg   FullSizeRender.jpg   IMG_0264.jpg   IMG_0265.jpg  
    Last edited by jmcartor; 08-06-2022 at 3:13 PM.

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

'83 should be 80 cu.in. No 74s in '83.

Yeah, I know, bothersome detail.

Jim

Correct. Its a fresh rebuilt 74in in the 83 frame. Should've led with that

Get Adobe Flash player

good planning. It looks like your tail light is always on as soon as you turn on your toggle ignition switch?
    Why run power to IGN toggle from relay instead of direct from the battery? If the relay burns out, you have no power to anything...I always like to have the ignition circuit separate from all others, so you can keep it running if everything else shorts out or fails.

Get Adobe Flash player

My only suggestion would be to connect the regulator output to the positive battery terminal at the starter relay, to keep the number of connections at the battery to a minimum. (Ideally, one cable on each battery post only.)

Jim

Thanks for the input guys.

tri- The tail switch looked a little strange for me too but I just copied what the template did with it. "low" beam always on with the toggle ON, then "high" beam would come on when the brake switch is activated on the rear brake. Right? That's a good point about IGN switch as well. The template had the IGN going through a fuse so figured I should as well.

JB- Will do it that way. Still use the 15A breaker?
    Last edited by jmcartor; 08-07-2022 at 3:00 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

On any of these bikes, I like to follow H-D practice. 30A main breaker, and two, 15A breakers, one on the ignition circuit and one on the lighting circuit. Then as T noted above, you have the ignition divorced from the rest and more likely to be able to ride it home in case of electrical problems. Without turn lamps or other lighting, you can drop the accessory breaker from the H-D system.

Jim

Share This