CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Hybrid View

Webchar

Default Throttle cable question ?

Hey everyone ! Im new to the forum and pretty new to custom bikes. I just picked up a 77 shovelhead project and this forum has answered alot of my questions so thanks!!!

Im wondering about one thing tho, i need to figure out a throttle cable for for super b carb. Ive learned that i can run a single cable but cant seem to find any info on if i need a specific cable for this carb or a universal will work. I have ape hanger bars and i can figure out the length but im more concerned about how it mounts to the carb. The previous owner had a cable mocked up but doesnt seem to be long enough.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails E81CC43E-6A83-464A-AD34-082C7813920B.jpg   78B44EC5-CEDC-43F1-A4F8-7BC875E4CEEC.jpg  

The cable housing is anchored in the aluminum boss in front of the throttle lever. You may be able to use the elbow in your picture, but it looks like the inner wire won't be long enough.

You need to use a throttle cable made for the throttle control on your handlebar. If it is the stock, H-D unit, you need a cable for your year bike. If you have taller or wider bars, you need a cable in plus xx length to suit. Then at the carb end you cut off the barrel on that stock cable, and maybe cut back some of the housing. Then feed that through the carb boss and clamp the wire on the throttle lever. That can all be a little "fiddly."

If you have an aftermarket throttle control, like an Amal type, you can use a universal cable and install it the same way.

In either case, you will need some extra length at the carb end so the housing can bend around behind the air cleaner and fit in the boss on the carb body.

At one time, S&S offered cable kits for the Super B, but I have no idea if they are still offered.

Jim

Webchar

Thanks for the reply!

I have an aftermarket throttle on the bike now, so i guess i will measure and order a longer cable.

Once i modify the end of the cable and feed it through the boss on the carb is it just the spring tension that holds it in place ? If thats all then i should have no problem hooking it up. Thanks again

Yes, nothing holds the housing in the carb boss except the tension on the inner cable. I put an extra cable clamp at the carb support sometimes, to take some of the strain from the housing hanging there.

Jim

Webchar

Thanks for the info ! Ill be ordering a new cable tonight

Share This