CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default how to tell old sifton cam from new?

I'm tearing down a '74 shovel motor that I bought and found a Sifton 109 cam. From what I can tell there are old Siftons that are great and newer ones that are less so, but I can't find anything on how to tell which is which. I tried calling a number I found for Black Widow that bought the rights, but didn't get a lot of help there. Also, is this intended to be a bolt-in cam for a shovel? Lift is .400/.440. AFAIK it was running before, but I've already found one piston that was installed backwards, so everything is getting some extra scrutiny. This is an FX and I may or may not add a starter, so if this cam is a keeper, does anyone know how it would be to kick? The motor's also got Wiseco 9:1 pistons in it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3395.jpg   IMG_3396.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

For what it's worth, I have a few old, real Sifton cams, and the 109s are marked like yours, with "109" on the rear lobe, and two letters on the next lobe. Good running cam if you have at least 9:1 compression.

Jim

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by JBinNC View Post
    For what it's worth, I have a few old, real Sifton cams, and the 109s are marked like yours, with "109" on the rear lobe, and two letters on the next lobe. Good running cam if you have at least 9:1 compression.

Jim
    Good to know, thanks. Have you ever tried to kick one?

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by HasherDavidson View Post
    Good to know, thanks. Have you ever tried to kick one?
    Intake closes around 50 ABDC, if memory serves. So, physically kicking it should be pretty easy. But, lots of overlap, so you need to spin the motor smartly so it will aspirate the air/fuel mix properly.

In other words, kick it like you mean it, EVERY TIME. If you are lackadaisical, like I tend to get, you will be rewarded with the motor running backwards for a turn or so, and filling the intake track with exhaust plus unburned fuel.

Jim

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by JBinNC View Post
    ... you will be rewarded with the motor running backwards for a turn or so, and filling the intake track with exhaust plus unburned fuel.

Jim
    Back in the early 70's the Army had this thing called a Gamma Goat. Had a two stroke diesel in it and if you popped the clutch just right it would run backwards for a bit. Hell of a vehicle.

Share This