Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PeanutHead
    • Nov 2011

78 Kawasaki KZ750B aka Frankie

So, this is definitely an addition at this point lol. Little back story for y'all: wife's grandfather died from cancer right after Covid started. Grandma has Alzheimer's and dementia and really shouldn't be alone. We talked about moving back when our oldest is 18 BUT............his dad got orders to Hawaii, and we moved to Ohio w/grandma in May (well, my wife and two youngests).

Now I'm stuck in MD because of work and I'm bored outta my fuckin mind. So Sunday afternoon, I was checking out Facebook marketplace and come across an ad for a FREE 78 KZ750 engine. Too good to be true, right? Well, I snagged that bitch up and now I have ANOTHER build to keep me from going crazy (my KZ440 and ALL MY GOOD TOOLS are in OH). The motor spins free, points look new, it's a kicker too (it's also an electric start), AND the carbs!

Now for the down side, the cylinder head is missing (someone stole it along with the frame). I'm starting to hunt one down but the biggest/most important part I'm gonna need is a frame (preferably with title) that's not gonna cost me $400+.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	KZ750.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	309.5 KB
ID:	1347895
  • 1954bmw
    • Mar 2015

Just for grins, what part of Ohio??

Comment

• PeanutHead
      • Nov 2011

Originally posted by 1954bmw
      Just for grins, what part of Ohio??
      Wellington.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
        • Dec 2017

I'm gonna need is a frame (preferably with title) that's not gonna cost me $400+

maybe you can find an old rigid chopper frame and adapt mounts to fit that engine. Perhaps a XS650, they are more popular than the KZ750 twins..

this is from a CC thread; chop thinggy:

Name:	KZ750 twin chop thinggy.CC.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	293.9 KB
ID:	1322665

From Choppers Australia, Jett's build:

Name:	KZ750twin,CA,JettFinished.jpg
Size:	239.9 KB
ID:	1322666

Welcome to the ‘LonesomeTwin™’ Website
        The UK based home for the Kawasaki 750 Twin

Welcome to my little Kawasaki KZ750 Twin info site.
        If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• PeanutHead
          • Nov 2011

^That's kinda the plan, but the few I've found, the asking price is $800+

Comment

• farmall
            • Apr 2013

Askin' price ain't gettin' price and people hate turning down dead presidents.

Facebook Marketplace is where the random old stuff ends up instead of Craigslist so best to check there. Ya might find a whole titled donor of some sort and if ya end up not needing your engine ya can always part it out on Ebay.

Comment

• PeanutHead
              • Nov 2011

Originally posted by farmall
              Askin' price ain't gettin' price and people hate turning down dead presidents.

Facebook Marketplace is where the random old stuff ends up instead of Craigslist so best to check there. Ya might find a whole titled donor of some sort and if ya end up not needing your engine ya can always part it out on Ebay.
              I found a 79 complete roller with motor AND title for $600. If I didn't already have the free engine (and a lot of disposable $$) I'd jump on that in a heart beat (or I could help out a fellow member pick it up if they wanted) BUT I want to try and build this KZ for dirt cheap. I spent WAY too much on parts for my other KZ that I'm going to use a lot of those parts for this one.

I'm gonna hit up this junk yard again that I went to last week. My dad and I took a gamble and drove up there with the hopes of finding a starter for my 82 KZ440. We walked out with 2 starters for $25! Once we got home they BOTH tested good. They had a few bikes that I might "Frankenstein" together to make a roller out of. The yard quoted me "$30 JUST for a frame and "$100 for a roller."

Comment

• docmel
                • May 2015

BEFORE you start getting a frame and spending $$$, you need to first consider two things

1. Do you have a title? If not, are you sure you can get one? Why spend bucks on something you cant even ride.
                And you need to really research on wnat it takes to get a title where you live. Simply getting a frame that comes with title (Which will be a VERY rare find) doesnt mean it will make the build legal/titleable

2. I REALLY recommend you find a set of heads, again, before you start spending money.... EBAY is good source for such

Comment

• PeanutHead
                  • Nov 2011

The guy who gave me the 750 engine hit me up last night saying that he found some more parts and is mailing them to me. He is sending the cam shafts, valve cover, misc bolts. So i'm holding off on the cyl head for right now. I've found a few on eBay that I'm watching.

Comment

• PeanutHead
                    • Nov 2011

So hunting around on Facebook Marketplace looks like it's paying off. Looks like I'm picking up a FREE KZ frame. Not sure but it looks like the frame is for a 440. It's already been modified (and its free) so I'm not 100% worried about perfect fitment. More to come.

Comment

• PeanutHead
                      • Nov 2011

Yesterday I took a trip up to EZ Pull & Save junk yard in PA to look for a few parts for this build. But I found MORE than I was looking for. I found an almost complete (no tank or seat) 76 KZ750B!!

Name:	20220724_120151.jpg
Size:	304.0 KB
ID:	1322675
                      Sad to see a bike with only 11k on the odometer wasting away in a junk yard.

Name:	20220724_120204.jpg
Size:	292.1 KB
ID:	1322676
                      Now I have confirmed the this engine is seized but the free engine I have is not. Hopefully the top end is salvageable.

Comment

• PeanutHead
                        • Nov 2011

Small update: so far the cylinder head looks great! One plug is stuck so I'm letting it soak with PB Blaster over night to try and get it out tomorrow.

Comment

• PeanutHead
                          • Nov 2011

Well, I'm back in the US and back to work on my 750. While I was deployed I amassed a ton of parts to include an OE gas tank (that matches the paint). So I think I'm gonna wait until the winter to paint.

Pulled the seized engine out last night. Gonna start pulling the forks to rebuild them today.

Name:	000.jpg
Size:	301.4 KB
ID:	1324364
                          Last edited by PeanutHead; 04-16-2023, 3:07 PM.

Comment

• PeanutHead
                            • Nov 2011

Decided not to rebuild the forks today. I decided to see how the ZX6 wheels would look like. Not 100% sure I'm gonna stick with them. I'd LOVE to find a cheap set of Invaders but trying to find a 15in disc rear has been very hard. I also think I'm gonna lower the rear more. The stance just isn't making me warm and fuzzy. What do ya'll think?

Name:	001.jpg
Size:	316.3 KB
ID:	1324367

Name:	003.jpg
Size:	296.2 KB
ID:	1324365

Name:	004.jpg
Size:	292.8 KB
ID:	1324366

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                              • Dec 2017

saw a few chopped 750 twins

Name:	KZ750 twin chop thinggy.CC.jpg
Size:	293.9 KB
ID:	1324439
                              So, I don't normally post threads since I don't really stop to take pictures of things while I'm doing stuff. That, and with grammar nazi's and so many negative people around here, I just tend to hang out in the shadows on the thread. Anywho, my names DJ. I live in Mesa, AZ. i bought this bike of a pretty cool dude who

Name:	Kawasaki 750 twin hardtailed GBC.jpg
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	1324440

A good detailed 750 chopper build thread here; from stock to chop:

Name:	KZ750twin,chop,CA,JettFinished.jpg
Size:	239.9 KB
ID:	1324441

seen this how-to thread by Voodoo Vintage?

2013 Thread: Hardtail Install for the KZ750B Twin!

Name:	kawasaki 750 twin_hardtail_MK74,Voodoo.jpg
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	1324444
                              Howdy from Texas everyone! Haven't been on here in a while so I figured we'd better poke our head in and offer a little eye-candy... We were recently offered the opportunity to develop a production hard tail or rather "REAR LOOP" for the legendary KZ750B model. This is the old TWIN that is sometimes elusive to find

their website page also includes detailed instructions with photos of each step of the install:
                              The MK74 Hardtail (formerly the MK28) is specifically designed for the KZ750 Twin original factory frame. It features very traditional lines, includes partial backbone / seat-post and can be installed without the use of a professional jig. INSTRUCTIONS LENGTH: 32 "WIDTH: 12 "HEIGHT: 20"WEIGHT: 20 LBS. Drop: 2.75"Stretc

another big twin 750 chop:

Name:	KZ 750 twin rigid chop, long tubes, rt side, nice..jpg
Size:	305.6 KB
ID:	1324445
                              Last edited by TriNortchopz; 04-25-2023, 7:39 AM. Reason: hardtail by voodoo
                              If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;