CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default I thought I was having problems with starter- 85 softail

Turned ign. switch to run, engaged manual solenoid lever. Engine starts to turn over then starter acts like it hit spot with no teeth, a bit of a grinding sound and acting like it is spinning but not engaging (for just a second) and then it catches again with a kind of sickening crunch then repeats.
    Tore open the primary (again) to check shit out and the clutch basket seemed a little loose and wobbly. tried tightening hub nut a little but that didn't seem to help, the FSM I have says clutch hub nut torque is 50 ft.lb. (is this correct? I have seen some other misprints in said manual)
    Bearing between hub and basket seemed a little sloppy (this one was brand new but from China) so I ordered another actual SKF brand instead. (waiting for part)
    I am wondering if there is something else I may have missed.
    I didn't want to reef the hub down too hard (made that spendy mistake before) If not familiar with this style clutch the keyway on the hub is a weak spot and they like to break (consider yourselves warned now, I wish I had been)
    Any and all help is very much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Mark

Get Adobe Flash player

For the '85, with the 4-post clutch hub, there is a reinforcement ring that can be pressed onto the hub, over the lock ring, that will reduce the possibility of cracking the clutch hub at the keyway. If the hub is already cracked, the ring won't help you.

The ring being a press fit, it will distort the hub bore a little, so you will have to work with it to determine how much torque it takes to fully seat the hub on the shaft taper. Hint: the 50 ft.lb. spec probably won't do it.

You may have to make this reinforcement ring yourself. You want .001 - .0015 press fit, and you can heat it up with a plumber's torch and just drop it on the hub.

Good luck with this. The aftermarket parts to fix/replace these clutches are really lacking in quality control.

Jim

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks Jim,

I have actually made one of those little reinforcement rings, which is why I tried to tighten the hub nut tighter ( 100 ft.lb.)but as mentioned it didn't take up all the slop I was seeing so that's why I ordered another hub bearing.(there was actually some slop in the bearing, I could hold the outer ring and the inner would move side to side a bit) Luckily I was able to get a new hub when I broke the original a couple years ago. (J&P believe it or not, was the only place I could find it at the time.)
    Any other suggestions for stuff to check?

Thanks,

Mark

Get Adobe Flash player

Put in new bearing, tightened up the clutch hub to 120ft.lb (with the reinforcing ring for the weak spot at the keyway.
    Seems to be working ok now, it doesn't make that god awful crunching sound from the starter gear and clutch basket ring gear not meshing correctly.

Share This