Can I put mags on my Yamaha Heritage Special?

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TurkeySandwich
    • May 2012

Can I put mags on my Yamaha Heritage Special?

Hey all,

I have an 83 xs650 heritage special and my spokes are looking pretty rusty. I am interested in swapping them for a set of Mag wheels. Does anyone have any experience with that? Would I be able to get some mags off of an earlier model with no issues? I want my bike to be safe and have less maintenance. If anyone has tried a set of Yamaha Maxim xj650 on their xs I would also be interested in that too there seems to be a lot of those available out there for pretty cheap.
  • docmel
    • May 2015

Originally posted by TurkeySandwich
    Hey all,

I have an 83 xs650 heritage special and my spokes are looking pretty rusty. I am interested in swapping them for a set of Mag wheels. Does anyone have any experience with that? Would I be able to get some mags off of an earlier model with no issues? I want my bike to be safe and have less maintenance. If anyone has tried a set of Yamaha Maxim xj650 on their xs I would also be interested in that too there seems to be a lot of those available out there for pretty cheap.
    You need to do your own research. Try a search for a specific and related forum that deals with your make/model bike. You might want to do parts search for years/model interchangability as well

One easy way is to look for a aftermarket wheel that will fit your bike now, and see if it also fits the other years you just mentioned. If so, the race is on

Comment

• farmall
      • Apr 2013

XS of course also came with mags and that rim style was used on MANY Yamahas (as was the common fork style).

I'd not hesitate to grab a set from an earlier XS but you can confirm if there were any oddball axles on other Yams using the same wheel castings in XS forums.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
        • Dec 2017

a bit of what-fits-what for Yamaha here:

Chopper Building...

Fits 'n Bits; Yamaha...
        'To the point' advice on what fits what, parts interchangeability and simple solutions to common problems...
        This forum applies to XS 650 Yamahas.

If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• ExplodingCoffinEmporium
          • Oct 2016

All XS650’s from 1974 up used the same axle sizes front and rear, that being said you can plug and play any XS wheel sets from 74 and up with no bullshit. Brake systems may need to be sorted due to drum/disc changes but the XS mags/spokes from 74’ up are all interchangeable. You’d likely easily find someone who will swap you a set of XS mags for your spoked wheels as spokes tend to be more desirable, if not XS mags are cheap and plentiful. Spokes always look nice though, my oldest build that still hangs around Click image for larger version

Name:	41DEAE5F-1808-4792-9AB5-72D401D329C5.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	1322670
          Last edited by ExplodingCoffinEmporium; 07-21-2022, 6:45 PM.

Comment

• farmall
            • Apr 2013

^Nice one! Properly proportioned and well thought out.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
              • Dec 2017

some good info here on the differences for rear brake plates and related parts for the XS650;

650 Rear Drum Brake Plates

"Over the past few years, I've acquired several of these from different years and after examining them, noticed quite a few differences. Most are minor or cosmetic, but some are major. It's pretty common knowledge that the brake shoes are the same for all years and that any plate will swap into any wheel, but that's about the extent of the published data. I'm going to "fill in the blanks", so to speak. If someone acquires a separate brake plate without a wheel, this should help them I.D. it, and if it's missing some parts, you'll know which ones can be used.

So, I'll start with a picture history of the plates, mainly showing the fronts and the cosmetic changes that occurred. The first version was used from '70-'73. It is the most "plain jane" of the lot, with no added extras for checking brake shoe wear. It is the only plate that has it's full part number cast into it ....."

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fipk3CE.jpg
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	1322671
              Click image for larger version

Name:	S0DoASW.jpg
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	1322672

Over the past few years, I've acquired several of these from different years and after examining them, noticed quite a few differences. Most are minor or cosmetic, but some are major. It's pretty common knowledge that the brake shoes are the same for all years and that any plate will swap into...

Axle diameter size list
              "Sorted by rear and front then size. Just find yours and you can see what else shares the same size for a swapping donor."
              Compliments of "a member on another forum", Sorted by rear and front then size. Just find yours and you can see what else shares the same size for a swapping donor. Jap Bike Rear Axle Diameters 15mm Honda CB250 Nighthawk 91-92, CM250 Custom 82-84, CMX250 85-86 & 96-97 Rebel (right), CX500...
              If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
              Working...
              ;