CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default Got some trouble with my shovel

Hey folks mike here,

So I noticed, that my shovel was harder and harder to kick over, it got to the point where she wouldn't even start up at the gasstation, after what felt like 100 kicks. Its an 80-80 with S&S super E and points and breaker ignition. So I sat down and checked some things.

First I played arround with the idle mixture screw, bc I figured the vibration of the bike messed with the carb settings, but that didn't do anything, for some reason I thougt ''maybe more fuel'' so I changed the intermediate jet from 0.295 to 0.31 (which didn't make sense since she always ran great.

Then I checked the ignition timing and I noticed something strange. The timing plate was all the way in the clockwise (which it always was) but when I took out my 12v lamp it would not light up. With the plate all the way to the right I could not really adjust the timing so I thougt that is strage, in the videos I see, its always in some kind of middle position. I had my old timing lobe thingy laying around (I swaped some parts for a big tour the other day) and poped that in. All of a sudden the plate was in a middle position, with plenty of room for adjustments. So I set the timing, with the dot of the flywheel just touching the right side of the timing hole. kicked her over and she ran, all good.

Then I swaped out the 0.31 jet for the 0.295, bc she always ran with that one, and reseted the carb to factory settings.

But now comes the actuall problem. The bike does not want to slow down now. I don't know how to describe it. The bike always sort of pushes forwart, where it normaly just gradually runes out, when I get of the gas. I took a test ride with the 0.31 jet and noticed the ''pushing'' but when I changed the jets to a smaller one it got way worse, also when I get of the gas and just slightly hit it again she coughs out of the carb.

When I give her full throttle everything runs as it used to.

Any ideas where I might have made a mistake?

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

You may have a VACUUM LEAK that you have not correctly diagnosed, yet.

The intake bands on the '79 - up shovels are notorious for leaks. Their service life seems to be 4 - 6 years, maybe longer if you are using the full circle aircraft style clamps.

If I run into a bike with your sort problems, I usually replace the intake bands as one of the first steps.

You did not mention it, but how is the point gap, and when is the last time you serviced the advance unit?

Jim

hey,

I havn't thougt of replacing the intake bands, I think it is worth a shot, bc I have never changed them since I got her.

The gab between points is 0.018 as the factory suggests.

woops forgot to mention I replaced the advance unit last year

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Norrimichlson View Post
    woops forgot to mention I replaced the advance unit last year
    Time to service it then. I like a white lithium grease for those units.

Jim

Get Adobe Flash player

Did You try to adjust the idle mix screw? When the intermediate jet is changed, The idle screw
    usually needs to be fine tuned to get the correct amount of air for the mixture.

Share This