Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Campfire
    • Aug 2013

1971 xlch extended forks question

I have a 1971 xlch stock front and rear drum breaks, I just bought extended fork tubes for it 6 over. My question is can I just throw the 6over tubes into the stock lowers I have now and put 6 inches of pvc pipe in and call it a day Thanks! Click image for larger version

Name:	02B4B146-9305-4D66-B983-0A0068C47E5C.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	1347846
  • Dragstews
    • Sep 2010

Someone might speak up ...

If not, perhaps a call to "Get Forked by Frank" will enlighten you ...
    ... (847)-869-6792 ...
    Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• Campfire
      • Aug 2013

Okay cool thanks

Comment

• JBinNC
        • Dec 2018

I'll take a swing at it.

First, NICE XL! I would not change a thing, but that's just me.

Yes, you will pretty much just change the tubes and adjust the ride height/ sag with pvc pipe. Put a flat washer between spring & pipe so the end of the spring won't chew on the pvc.

There are a couple of pitfalls:
        Most of these forks have a spring retainer plug under the top plug, and these take a special two-pin socket to remove. IF you can get the damper screws (or nuts) loose at the bottom of the lower, you can remove all the guts from the bottom, and leave rhose plugs in the old tubes. You can buy a kit with new plugs and the tool for use in your new tubes if you desire.

Next, unless the front end has been rebuilt, you will find the bushings in the sliders worn out, and long fork tubes will just wear them out faster, so replacement should be part of your job.

Lastly, the '71 should have an actual seal at the top of the slider (unlike the earlier sliders) and you should of course replace the seals as well.

This is a very spindly front end at best, so a fork brace should be considered to go along with the longer tubes.

Good luck with it.
        Jim

Comment

• ExplodingCoffinEmporium
          • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Campfire
          I have a 1971 xlch stock front and rear drum breaks, I just bought extended fork tubes for it 6 over. My question is can I just throw the 6over tubes into the stock lowers I have now and put 6 inches of pvc pipe in and call it a day Thanks! [ATTACH=CONFIG]108546[/ATTACH]
          For the most part you got it. I mean don’t forget replacing seals while you at it as well as the possible need to go with a heavier weight fork oil depending on how you like your forks to feel, although you’ll retain the same fork oil volume. You also will possibly need an extended cable for the front brake as there might not be enough slack.
          It’s a nice bike man, I’d be tempted to keep it as it is.

Comment

• DoomBuggy
            • Oct 2016

Choppers are about the look and feel of the bike. Having said that be aware that 6" over with stock rake is going to cause handling issues. Read up a bit before making a change you could end up hating.

Comment

• Campfire
              • Aug 2013

Very helpful I appreciate it thanks!

Comment

• Dragstews
                • Sep 2010

Could install a set of 3* raked bearing (Uses Timkens) cups in the frame ..
                If ever wanted to revert back to stock cups can be easy to do ...
                Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• DoomBuggy
                  • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Dragstews
                  Could install a set of 3* raked bearing (Uses Timkens) cups in the frame ..
                  If ever wanted to revert back to stock cups can be easy to do ...
                  If you look close at my avatar picture, those are 2" over tubes with a 3 degree set of cups ( well they are 2" over FXR tubes which I "think" are ~2" longer than stock rigid Panhead anyhow ).

Comment

• CDeeZ
                    • Oct 2019

I've got 8" over tubes on my Evo sporty. Hardtail with 4" stretch 2" drop. I like it. It takes some getting used to in low speed tight turns and requires a fair bit of upper body strength. Not too bad IMO.

Comment

• Down
                      • Jan 2016

I've got an 8" over 39mm front and a 10" springer on my Sportsters, they handle just fine. Low speed maneuverability takes 5 minutes getting used to and at speed it cruises great. Don't let keyboard warriors scare you. 6" is completely rideable and looks great.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                      Working...
                      ;