3 1/2" bore cylinders in 3 5/8" bore cases? Shovelhead question.

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Revelator
    • Aug 2009

Originally posted by SteveJ
    lol
    he isnt asking about sleeving the cylinders , hes asking about sleeves in the engine case to make up for the stock cylinders being used in big bore case'
    fucking read the post
    lol
    The Idea was for the "worn out" Big bore cases to be hard coated, not the stock bore ones,
    YOU Dumbed Down IDIOT.

Comment

• flatman
      • Sep 2017

I dont think its been mentioned , but remember to match the weight of the new pistons to the old ones (pins, keepers and rings) to keep the balance .

Comment

• SteveJ
        • Mar 2022

Originally posted by Revelator
        The Idea was for the "worn out" Big bore cases to be hard coated, not the stock bore ones,
        YOU Dumbed Down IDIOT.
        This is even stupider than the original post.
        Get real.
        The op is so stupid that you cant figure out its a jap bike guy posting stuipid shit to watch guys like you make fools of themselves.
        Hers a clue knumbnuts:
        The poster has abandoned the thread.
        Easily one of the stupidest threads I have seen.

Comment

• DoomBuggy
          • Oct 2016

Hey Steve,

I am sure everyone appreciates your experience and willingness to share. I would just like to point out you are coming on a bit strong for new guy. There is a shit load of experience on this board as well as a lot of guys like me who have been in and out of the hobby for a lot of years.

Just say'n you might want to ease up a bit so people can appreciate what you are offering without the snark.

But hey what the fuck do I know...

Comment

• farmall
            • Apr 2013

Having the cylinders re-sleeved puts the project out of my budget for a bit, if I could even find someone to do it. I DO have a good set of 3 1/2" bore 80" cylinders.
            States the core problem which is worn jugs in need of replacement or bore coating or sleeving.

Can I run those cylinders on cases that have been bored to 3 5/8 to accept the big bore kit?
            Is a question re: the bored cases. The bolt pattern hasn't changed and the cylinder flanges are sufficient to support hot rod cylinders so they'll do fine with stock or anything in-between because Shovel flanges support the top end. Bolt whatever to the cases as the studs and flange/case interface take all the loads.

The responses regarding those options were correct. The Shovel cylinder skirt not being supported by the crankcase it wouldn't matter what bore the case happens to be.

OP did not post trollishly and it's common for folks with little Shovel experience to ask that sort of stuff. I'm a multibrand wrench and while old Jap bikes have sleeved alloy aircooled cylinders later machines often have watercooled cylinders cast en bloc like alloy auto engines and one familiar with those might not know how Shovels are done. Not everybody compares and contrasts engine designs though it's a good idea for any mechanic. Most of the old HD mechanics are dead and the rest of us have one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel.

Comment

• Dragstews
              • Sep 2010

Originally posted by farmall

Most of the old HD mechanics are dead and the rest of us have one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel.
              Hey now ... !! Lol
              Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• farmall
                • Apr 2013

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                Working...
                ;