Dimension from Drive Sprocket to Centerline of Frame?

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RichardD
    • Jun 2012

Dimension from Drive Sprocket to Centerline of Frame?

I need this measurement for a Shovelhead.
  • SteveJ
    • Mar 2022

Why?
    There may be a diff way to get your answer.

Comment

• Smiley
      • Jun 2012

3.5625 for a Pan but have no idea if this follows over for the Shovel but it's a start.

Comment

• JBinNC
        • Dec 2018

Originally posted by Smiley
        3.5625 for a Pan but have no idea if this follows over for the Shovel but it's a start.
        For the sake of sanity, let's have some dimensional integrity. H-D never went past two decimal places for their chassis dimensions, and you shouldn't either. Carrying the dimension to four decimal places suggests (or even forces) a level of accuracy that is not possible nor desirable for chassis work.

Call it 3.56 and that is an actual reasonable dimension for this sort of measurement.

And the pan and shovel chain lines are in the same place, which makes mixing and matching these old parts easy.

Jim

Comment

• SteveJ
          • Mar 2022

45 years of building custom bikes I never had to determine this dimension.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
            • Dec 2017

Call it 3.56 and that is an actual reasonable dimension for this sort of measurement.
            .5625" = 9/16"

3 - 9/16" ... is an actual reasonable dimension for this sort of measurement.
            If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• JBinNC
              • Dec 2018

Originally posted by TriNortchopz
              .5625" = 9/16"

3 - 9/16" ... is an actual reasonable dimension for this sort of measurement.
              Yes, .5625 is a decimal dimension equal to 9/16".

H-D dimensioned the frame and chassis blueprints with decimal figures, to two decimal places for almost all dimensions. They did not use fractional dimensions, even though many of the decimal dimensions are equivalent to common fractions.

My only point was that accuracy to three or four decimal places is not needed or wanted for frame and chassis dimensions. Sorry, this is a sore point for me, the result of some engineering school, and a good bit of training in blueprint reading (and drawing) and a lot of practical time with blueprints in machine shops.

Jim

Comment

• SteveJ
                • Mar 2022

The manuals , parts and in this case service , have ALL of these dimensions in drawings and descriptions .
                A WAY better source than an internet forum.

Comment

• RichardD
                  • Jun 2012

Thanks guys, that's the info I needed.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                  Working...
                  ;