Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sincerelyscott
    • Jan 2022

92 sportster simple wiring

Hey guys so I’ve tried sifting through a few forums to find details on exactly what I need and I think I’m 90% there
    Been using the mutant wiring diagram as reference as well as some youtube videos (party on forever and lnspltbvld)
    I have a momentary key switch with 5 connectors, eliminated the handlebar controls (duh its a chopper), and replaced the front and rear lights and running only 2 breakers
    Keeping it super simplified no turn signals, no speedo, no nothin’
    I’ve got everything wired to what I guess is correct, I tried to not cut into the wiring thats coming up from the starter, and I’ve got some noise coming when the switch it cranked and lights work but the thing isn’t starting
    Any ideas? Thanks guys
  • docmel
    • May 2015

Originally posted by sincerelyscott
    Hey guys so I’ve tried sifting through a few forums to find details on exactly what I need and I think I’m 90% there
    Been using the mutant wiring diagram as reference as well as some youtube videos (party on forever and lnspltbvld)
    I have a momentary key switch with 5 connectors, eliminated the handlebar controls (duh its a chopper), and replaced the front and rear lights and running only 2 breakers
    I’ve got everything wired to what I guess is correct, I tried to not cut into the wiring thats coming up from the starter, and I’ve got some noise coming when the switch it cranked and lights work but the thing isn’t starting
    Any ideas? Thanks guys
    Go to the sporster section Help is right near the top. Frankly, hacking into a stock wiring system is not the way I would go. If possible, try to make your own. Regardless, help is in the sporty section: Its a good write up

Comment

• docmel
      • May 2015

One of the common questions I hear quite a bit is "How do I get rid of all the bullshit wiring on my Evo Sportster"? It's really not rocket science, especially on earlier ones but it can be intimidating to hack up the bundle of perfectly operating wires just for the sake of getting the bare-bones aesthetic. For

Comment

• sincerelyscott
        • Jan 2022

I’ve all but figured out these 3 wires, small black one coming from the same group as others coming off the starter relay, a green one (I think it’s the oil pump?) and a thick black wire coming from underneath (not sure if that’s the voltage regulator and where that should go to)

Comment

• Down
          • Jan 2016

I’ve all but figured out these 3 wires, small black one coming from the same group as others coming off the starter relay, a green one (I think it’s the oil pump?) and a thick black wire coming from underneath (not sure if that’s the voltage regulator and where that should go to)
          Black wires are usually ground wires, oil pump does not have a wire since it's 100% mechanical. Post some pictures, your explanations aren't really helping us help you. Black wire from underneath, if it really is from the voltage regulator, goes to the main breaker.

Comment

• farmall
            • Apr 2013

Use a meter or a test light and battery to continuity test unknown wires and you'll find where they go in a few minutes.

Comment

• Cam87sporty
              • Dec 2019

Any ideas? Thanks guys
              Honestly ordering the sportster treatment wiring kit from ape_knuckles_harnesses is the best route, super easy install, only goes one way, no soldering, splicing or anything, pure plug and play, and for $200 bucks it’s probably close to to what you spend on tools, wiring connectors etc.

I know it’s not great advice, but it something.

Comment

• dankmelater
                • Jul 2019

Originally posted by Cam87sporty
                Honestly ordering the sportster treatment wiring kit from ape_knuckles_harnesses is the best route, super easy install, only goes one way, no soldering, splicing or anything, pure plug and play, and for $200 bucks it’s probably close to to what you spend on tools, wiring connectors etc.

I know it’s not great advice, but it something.
                I rewired a buddy's Sportster from the ground up, cost $140. All new wires, deutsch connectors, main breaker, and fuse box. Took like 8 hours total. The Ape Knuckles (or Gremlin wiring now?) harness is so simple and easy, wish I would have gone that route but my buddy wanted blinkers. Having hacked into the wiring a lot on my sporty to clean it up, I can say it was way easier to just build one from the ground up.

sincerelyscott, holler at me if you need a wiring diagram, I have the PDF and can PM it to you if you need it. Green wire off the starter is the signal wire for the starter. Wire from the oil pump area I'm guessing is one of the stator wires. In black wires on the stock harness are all grounds, I'd guess you got something backwards in there. Post pics of what you're trying to ID.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                Working...
                ;