CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Exhaust leak at y-pipe

I've got an exhaust leak where the rear exhaust stuffs into the y-pipe in my 2-into-1 setup. I've tried using high temp rtv, extreme heat jb weld (rated for 1000 degrees F), and fiberfix heat wrap but they have all failed within minutes of the bike running. I'm wondering how you guys with old knuckle, pan, or shovel setups seal your y-pipe connections? A regular exhaust clamp will not work in my case since the opening in the y-pipe is old and sort of oblong now with about a 1/8" gap on one side when fitted (the leak I'm trying to seal). Any ideas?

Get Adobe Flash player

I'd try to use a pipe expander to get it back to its original, round shape. They have a larger version too, not sure what diameter you are dealing with.

https://www.harborfreight.com/medium...58589d6023a0c2

a pic would help

If you are looking for goop to try and fix it, try Pyro putty, with stands pretty high temps not sure about 1/8 gap. but should hold under exhaust temp gases.Also seen on the english guys tv Dealer Wheelers ,exhaust joint paste. looked it up and found some in the US but dont remember who. Maybe shim up the gap with a beer can before goop? Also check out panhead pipes to head fixes/recommendations as they are usually loose also.
    Last edited by flatman; 05-17-2022 at 8:18 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

The old standard before they were valuable antiques and were still cheap old bikes was honey they just kept putting a little in the gap running until it turned black and eventually the leak was full of carbon.
    Dusty

Share This