CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default Panhead timing hole leaking / cracked

First time posting here. My panhead had a fresh rebuild last year. Finally got around to running it and found a leak from the timing hole. Upon inspection there is a small hairline crack. I know having it welded would be the right way, but I don't really have access to a shop. What are my options?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20210420_182853~2.jpg  

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

If it was mine I would clean the case real good with lacquer thinner and smear JB weld over the top to almost the edge of the plug then use a very thin coat of silicone from there on in. Then plan on welding and re-machining the boss and threads next time it's apart. Unless you're going to show to or sumptin a little epoxy with silver paint won't hurt your eyes too bad if it means avoiding splitting the cases. I had a 57 FLH that was cracked along the oil passage to the rear head that was sealed up with JB for several years.
    Dusty

Get Adobe Flash player

the ONLY way to fix is take it apart & get it welded by an expert now before it goes bang & ya fucked,..
    There's no magic bubblegum repair here, sorry,
    get the tool box fired up or ship it to someone who knows what to do to fix it, DO NOT USE YA LOCAL BLACKSMITH HOWEVER CHEAP HE IS....

Looks like there is already some bubblegum on it.

Get Adobe Flash player

Whoever rebuilt that motor should have caught and repaired that crack during the rebuild.

Tzienlee is absolutely correct. Stop, take it apart, and get it welded up now. What you will end up with if you don't, is the deck area of that case cracking away from the rest of the case, and then you are truly fucked. I have a case here with that more severe problem, and it is almost impossible to repair without a lot of warping and subsequent machine work.

Jim

Thanks for the responses. Yeah the guy who rebuilt it did a great job repairing one of the case bolt holes. I guess he must've missed this one. I don't really have the money or resources to go through the whole process again. Looks like it's back on the shelf for the old 48. The blue stuff is that blue block thread sealant.

Get Adobe Flash player

You may be able to get it welded without pulling it apart ...

Take it to a good welder that knows his shit ..
    He would trench it out and fill with weld and dress it back to looking like new ...
    Any competent tig welder worth his salt can do the job ...

Get Adobe Flash player

There's nothing in that side of the case.. Would it really be that much expense to yank the left case off and have it welded?

If it's a fresh build, I bet you could even salvage some gaskets.

I don't think it would be that bad money wise.

Get Adobe Flash player

Have any of you ever seem a crack in that location spread? Pictures? In the last 50 years I have never seen one spread much. Yah it needs to be welded but put it off until it's handy to do. If the case is Glyptol coated inside trying to weld in place would be a really big mistake.
    Dusty

The early panheads I have owned (3) all 1950, all seemed to be prone to cracking the left case. Mine seemed to occur from the rear cylinder. I beleive this is because of the oil trench on the cylinder deck. The worst one of the bunch cracked down from the middle of the rear cylinder about 1/2 inch then went below the number boss and around to the generator. Had it fixed, ran it, happened again. Fixed again, happened again and after that third time sold the bike. The guy who welded it (RIP) was very skilled at welding aluminum. He was the go to guy with any harley tranny cases or motor cases to get welded. I had a 45 left case with almost identical timing hole crack. Got it welded up and no problems to date.

Yeah I think I'm gonna run it as long as I can. Maybe carry a thermos of oil.

Share This