CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default Sportster with Buell motor

Scroll down for Buell stuffing. This started as a question thread.

I've done countless top end rebuilds on EVO Sportsters, done half a dozen 1200cc conversions with whatever parts, but I've never touched the bottom end on one.

I bought a 883 Hugger with grenaded cases and know I need to get new cases, front cylinder, rods and probably a lot more. I'm starting this thread to ask dumb questions.

First dumb question is what special tools will I need to complete my full motor rebuild? Any pointers on what to expect putting in new rods?
    Last edited by Down; 05-18-2022 at 12:35 PM.

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Down View Post

I bought a 883 Hugger with grenaded cases and know I need to get new cases, front cylinder, rods and probably a lot more.
    Most the Boys (And Gals) on this forum like seeing pictures ...
    It would help your quest immensely if you would be so kind to post a few of what you're dealing with ...

(I got an ore in the water from that same boat)

Last edited by Dragstews; 05-06-2022 at 5:03 PM.

truing stand or lathe with indicators, or the white lab coat and a ruler? LOL, sometimes a lead hammer, pin hone, knowledge on how to balance, someway to hold flywheels while tightening crankpin, sprocketshaft, and pinion nuts. Not exactly sure what goes on in the timken bearing sprocket side. Just a few things from watching people do this as I am not an engine builder. But I really enjoy motor rebuild threads, so please post pics and let us know how this goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragstews View Post
    Most the Boys (And Gals) on this forum like seeing pictures ...
    It would help your quest immensely if you would be so kind to post a few of what you're dealing with ...
    I know, I know. I'm picking the bike up on Monday.

Get Adobe Flash player

The evo XLs from the '90s had three piece flywheels with tapered crankpin and nuts to assemble. As Flatman said, above, you need an assembly fixture and truing stand of some sort for those flywheels. From 2000, and maybe a year or two earlier, the flywheels are press together, with a straight crankpin, like the twinkie flywheels (or a two-stroke). I consider those to be throw-aways, but they can be rebuilt IF you have the tools and IF you can get parts for them. If you want to balance the wheels, you will need those tools as well. The good news is that all of the above can be used on the big twins as well. You may have to replace and/ or lap the pinion race on cases with some miles, and those lapping tools are pricey.

Jim
    Last edited by JBinNC; 05-06-2022 at 3:48 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Might be best to farm out some of the work to a local shop that is tooled to do the work ..

Be money ahead ...

I'll get some pictures of the blown motor tomorrow. It's pretty wild and completely trashed.
    Got really lucky and bought half a 1999 Buell X1 and a hardtail frame as a package deal for a decent price. I'm keeping the suspension on this bike, but it's going to be Buell powered.
    Here's the motor

In the frame.

The tank isn't staying, putting a matching tin set with those flames on here from my other Sporty.

Didn't take a lot of pictures, but I had the bike down to the bare frame. Swingarm bearings were almost brand new, but I still cleaned and re-packed them. I have a 16-spoke mag wheel I'll be using on the rear.
    Last edited by Down; 05-18-2022 at 12:39 PM.

Rear rod snapped clean off in the middle, punched a hole through the front of the case and spun around and chucked more pieces of the case into the transmission. Luckily the bike was in neutral when this happened, so the transmission is fine. How and why I don't know. Guy said he rode it about 200 miles and when he stopped in his driveway the rod went ballistic.

Here's some bad pics of the destroyed motor.

There's a good chunk missing from the skirt of the front cylinder, both cylinder bores are scratched to hell and back and there's small pieces of the case in the bottom end everywhere.

I can salvage some stuff. Transmission gears, clutch, primary chain, primary cover, cam cover and sprocket cover.. Uh.. Yeah, that's about it.
    Last edited by Down; 05-19-2022 at 1:09 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Back in the late 60's my dad bought a Toyota to go to work and back. He decided to change the oil, but failed to get the oil plug tight enough. It fell out at some point on his 25 mile trip to work. He drove all the way to work and back before it died. He torpedoed that motor, and it looked better than what you have there, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by DoomBuggy View Post
    Back in the late 60's my dad bought a Toyota to go to work and back. He decided to change the oil, but failed to get the oil plug tight enough. It fell out at some point on his 25 mile trip to work. He drove all the way to work and back before it died. He torpedoed that motor, and it looked better than what you have there, lol.
    Haha, yeah I have no idea what the hell happened here. Maybe I'll send it to Harley HQ so they can put it in their museum.

Soooooooo, for some reason this bitch eats coils and ignitions?! Voltage regulator checks out fine, it's charging just around 14.2-14.3V and everything seems normal. In the past 300 miles I've burnt 2 coils and 2 ignition modules.
    First went my Dyna 2000i ignition. I replaced it with a Dyna DS6 I had (both running dual fire with stock Harley Sportster 5 ohm coil) and then fried the coil after about 100 miles. Thought that was bad luck and threw another coil at it. Slapped a volt meter on to be safe and saw no spikes. 120 miles down the road fried the coil AND the ignition. It didn't run bad or funny or anything. Is this just stupid bad luck with used parts, or am I missing something here?

12V white wire to coil, white wire from ignition module goes to the same place. Other wire from ignition to the pink wire (other post) on the coil. White wire goes through ignition switch, which is brand new and working as it should. No shorts anywhere. Went through the wires, everything is A-OK.
    Last edited by Down; 06-08-2022 at 1:49 PM.

Grounds.

Share This