CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Hardtailed frame weld joint

Hey so I recently got a rigid frame from a friend to mess around with for another sportster I had. I went ahead and welded on a few bugs and mounts for the oil tank but I'm looking over the weld on the joint for the hardtail (its a tc bros, a brand I've used before) and I have my doubts about the penetration into the slug in a few spots. Was thinking of grinding the welds flush all around and cutting into the joint and throwing the motor back to act as a jig and reweld it myself. For the plug welds, I was gonna slot it with a cut off wheel and weld it just to make sure. The welds don't look too bad, I don't have pics atm, it's just I know I could do it better. Does this sound like overkill? With the engine torqued to the frame on all the mounts is there really that much stress at the slugged joint? I jus wanna make sure its solid before I ride it or let anybody else. Appreciate any feedback

Get Adobe Flash player

You sound like me, but I know after the dust has settled, your gonna want to make sure it's right. Imagine going down the highway thinking about that. Pics are a must.

Get Adobe Flash player

slot will work.

read this and watch embedded videos:

slugging a frame
    http://choppercompendium.com/ccforum...opic.php?t=604

at the end of the day, you are gonna be sat on this thing relying on its strength of build to carry you and your engine (at least 180lbs of motor) down a freeway doing 70+mph. Over-engineering is never a bad thing when it comes to frame strength or brakes!

Get Adobe Flash player

U guys are right, appreciate the feedback, if it bothered me enough to post i might as well do it... couple hr project most itll b worth for sure. Thanks again.

Share This