CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Need some help, 650 Triumph rear wheel. Please .........

Ok, so I've just bought a couple of nice shiny stainless nuts for my rear axle. It's a'67 so it should have the imperial 'cycle' thread, 3/4" x 20 tpi. They don't fit.....Thinking it may have a later axle in it (threads changed in '69 to UNF), I've measured it and it does have 20tpi. According to the info I have 3/4" UNF is normally 16 tpi. Can anybody shed any light on this??? Do they make a 3/4" X 20tpi but or was it another Triumph specific part?? Thanks

Get Adobe Flash player

Yes, there are many special threads used in industry. Machinery's Handbook is the go-to reference, published since 1914. It has more information on threads than you could possibly imagine (and I mean that literally).

Jim

Get Adobe Flash player

Dave Take the guesswork out and buy some thread gauges-they ain't expensive either.

Get Adobe Flash player

That old wore out Atlas 12" quick change lathe is the best solution to odd ball threads I ever bought. I made a batch of 1 3/16" 24 tpi nuts the other day.
    Dusty

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by JBinNC View Post
    Yes, there are many special threads used in industry. Machinery's Handbook is the go-to reference, published since 1914. It has more information on threads than you could possibly imagine (and I mean that literally).

Jim
    29th Edition (2012) in pdf format:

https://www.vtc1.org/cms/lib/PA03000...%20Edition.pdf

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Hoghead View Post
    Dave Take the guesswork out and buy some thread gauges-they ain't expensive either.
    Well to be honest that's what I was looking for Friday evening when the new nuts wouldn't fit......I've got four sets of the things, cover all eventualities, but can I find the bastards???? Got a feeling I've left them at work, not much use there haha. Beer time I think......

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Hoghead View Post
    Well to be honest that's what I was looking for Friday evening when the new nuts wouldn't fit......I've got four sets of the things, cover all eventualities, but can I find the bastards???? Got a feeling I've left them at work, not much use there haha. Beer time I think......

Quote Originally Posted by Dinnertimedave View Post
    Ok, so I've just bought a couple of nice shiny stainless nuts for my rear axle. It's a'67 so it should have the imperial 'cycle' thread, 3/4" x 20 tpi. They don't fit.....Thinking it may have a later axle in it (threads changed in '69 to UNF), I've measured it and it does have 20tpi. According to the info I have 3/4" UNF is normally 16 tpi. Can anybody shed any light on this??? Do they make a 3/4" X 20tpi but or was it another Triumph specific part?? Thanks
    Sounds like poorly machined parts to me. Way too common with british bike parts.

dtdave I hide shit from myself all the time.

Share This