CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
  1. #1
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    170

    Default Need some help, 650 Triumph rear wheel. Please .........

    Ok, so I've just bought a couple of nice shiny stainless nuts for my rear axle. It's a'67 so it should have the imperial 'cycle' thread, 3/4" x 20 tpi. They don't fit.....Thinking it may have a later axle in it (threads changed in '69 to UNF), I've measured it and it does have 20tpi. According to the info I have 3/4" UNF is normally 16 tpi. Can anybody shed any light on this??? Do they make a 3/4" X 20tpi but or was it another Triumph specific part?? Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    2,444

    Default

    Yes, there are many special threads used in industry. Machinery's Handbook is the go-to reference, published since 1914. It has more information on threads than you could possibly imagine (and I mean that literally).

    Jim

  3. #3
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    2,843

    Default

    Dave Take the guesswork out and buy some thread gauges-they ain't expensive either.

  4. #4
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,864

    Default

    That old wore out Atlas 12" quick change lathe is the best solution to odd ball threads I ever bought. I made a batch of 1 3/16" 24 tpi nuts the other day.
    Dusty

  5. #5
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    2,957

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JBinNC View Post
    Yes, there are many special threads used in industry. Machinery's Handbook is the go-to reference, published since 1914. It has more information on threads than you could possibly imagine (and I mean that literally).

    Jim
    29th Edition (2012) in pdf format:

    https://www.vtc1.org/cms/lib/PA03000...%20Edition.pdf

  6. #6
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    170

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoghead View Post
    Dave Take the guesswork out and buy some thread gauges-they ain't expensive either.
    Well to be honest that's what I was looking for Friday evening when the new nuts wouldn't fit......I've got four sets of the things, cover all eventualities, but can I find the bastards???? Got a feeling I've left them at work, not much use there haha. Beer time I think......

  7. #7
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    170

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoghead View Post
    Dave Take the guesswork out and buy some thread gauges-they ain't expensive either.
    Well to be honest that's what I was looking for Friday evening when the new nuts wouldn't fit......I've got four sets of the things, cover all eventualities, but can I find the bastards???? Got a feeling I've left them at work, not much use there haha. Beer time I think......

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dinnertimedave View Post
    Ok, so I've just bought a couple of nice shiny stainless nuts for my rear axle. It's a'67 so it should have the imperial 'cycle' thread, 3/4" x 20 tpi. They don't fit.....Thinking it may have a later axle in it (threads changed in '69 to UNF), I've measured it and it does have 20tpi. According to the info I have 3/4" UNF is normally 16 tpi. Can anybody shed any light on this??? Do they make a 3/4" X 20tpi but or was it another Triumph specific part?? Thanks
    Sounds like poorly machined parts to me. Way too common with british bike parts.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    464

    Default

    dtdave I hide shit from myself all the time.

Share This



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in