CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default Tube bender question

Hello everyone!I'm new here.
    Maybe I'm kicking a dead horse by asking about tube benders, but I've searched the forum and can't seem to find my answer. I was wondering what would be the best radius die to purchase for handlebars/frames and such. I was thinking a 180 degree 3" would work fine, but would like to hear some input before dropping the cash on a die that might not work.

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

"...This tech article features a Mittler Brother Rotary Draw hydraulic bender. I have used and owned many different rotary draw benders over the years and they all have their pros and cons. I will caution everyone to stay away from cheap pipe benders that simply press a die into the tubing which causes the walls of the tubing to deform and can seriously reduce the strength of the finished product....

For this set of bars I use a 3” radius die for all 4 bends...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CSM-JAN2015.pg74_Page_1_Image_0011-400x258.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	110084

Fabricating Handlebars With Faith Forgotten Chopper

Get Adobe Flash player

We got this one.. Haven't tested it yet, but it takes Woodward FAB and JD Tools dies.

Looks like it will work fine.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As far as the radius goes, we used a large compass and sketched out what we wanted to do with it. It really helps you visualize things when otherwise you're just left guessing.

Get Adobe Flash player

A while back I contacted flyweight. D they use 3 or 3.5" on their 1" sporty frames. I use a 3 for 1". Look up ctnewman and his tutorial for custom wooden does. I've seen handlebars made with as low as 2" dies. All numbers for the clr( centerline radius)

Share This