CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Crankcase filling up with oil when my bike is parked. How do I fix this!?

Hey guys!
    I have an issue with my check ball not seating and the crankcase filling with oil when my bike is parked.
    I ride a S&S shovel head and I have had this issue since I put it on the road a couple years back.
    I have the bike on the stand right now doing some work (changing gaskets and what not) and would really like to get this resolved before the bike goes back on the road!

I know this is a common issue but I have had no luck finding information on how to fix it.

Back when my dad was running a shop he used to do a “five minute fix” for his customers: he would take the check ball and spring out, clean the seat for the ball and then put the check ball back in and tap it back into place to reseat it.
    But it has been a long time since he has been doing this sort of work as an occupation (25 years almost!) and just would like to know if there are any other methods for fixing this problem. Or is this is still the preferred method?

Hope someone here can help me out!

Thanks for reading!

A.K.

Get Adobe Flash player

either that or get a new oil pump,

Get Adobe Flash player

It's more complicated than that. There are 4 paths for oil through the later shovel and evo pumps:

1) of course the check ball everyone knows about.
    2) the pump shaft seal
    3) the idler shaft if it is loose in the pump body (common in mid '70s H-D pumps).
    4) past the pressure relief valve if it is not a close slip fit in its bore, or if it does not seat fully. This is common on cheap aftermarket pumps, so bad that they will leak a quart or more overnight.

Best to remove the pump and clean and inspect it carefully. Banging a ball into the seat hardly ever works, but it is so easy to do that it is often recommended. You can lap the ball seat with a FINE compound and a 3/8 ball. An evo pushrod will do for that. But if you get the seat too wide, it won't seal. Caution and care here.

Good luck with it,
    Jim

For the money invested in an S&S engine, I’d bite the bullet, change the oil pump and have done with the issue. You know it is fixed then.

That should be an issue with the oil pump, the leaking is not normal. As one person a suggested above you might have to get another spare. Try one of these The fuel shut-off valve isn’t closed properly or the Fuel float in the carburetor being stuck in the open position due to gumming (caused by stale fuel) or debris. I would recommend motorbike tours saigon this is better.
    Last edited by ronyboy; 04-02-2021 at 6:15 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Just take the pump apart and examine it. Shoot some oil or atf over the ball seat and see if it leaks past.. Rattle the PR valve in its bore and see how it fits. Look for wear there and under the ball.

If it looks bad just replace it.

Share This