CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Anyone in a professional epoxy shop?

Hey all Im looking to have someone "make" my epoxy taillights.I have made a mold, but don't have a pressure chamber to get the bubbles out. I would love too send this out, but I cannot find a spot who does this yet.I need them to finish off my ass end!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0986.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

I contacted No school choppers. It looks like they make their custom lenses, will see if they take custom jobs ( probably not) I understand custom doesn't pay compared to bread and butter.

Get Adobe Flash player

You can use a vacuum chamber to remove entrained air and one way to get that would be (for example) an old pressure cooker body or something else able to hold vacuum and an ordinary Robinair vacuum pump as used on HVAC systems (mine paid for itself the first truck AC I repaired and I've done several since). You can also use them for vacuforming plastics and vacuum-bagging composites. (I just use mine for HVAC but that's because I've not needed the other options.)

You're the sort of fellow who is better off owning the equipment because of what you'll do with it. You can also buy vacuum degassing chambers online to be done quicker than fabbing one.

Random video, there are many: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTHAL0udCyA

Get Adobe Flash player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu1R...nnel=Smooth-On
    I think this is the process that most small run lenses are made by. Be a lot of work and expense for one but then you would be able to make us all custom lenses.
    Dusty

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks for the replies.I have looked into the degassing/vacuum chambers.Im sure Ill make a vacuum set up soon.I just hate having to explain CONSTANT tool purchases for my ever expanding "custom" stuff.I have poured tables being in the custom woodworking realm.I did a sample using my current mold.Quickly realizing thereis no way around needing a degassing chamber on a deep pour no matter what epoxy used.

Get Adobe Flash player

Might as well make it a bit large so you can cast translucent trike bodies with internal LED lighting. (Hint, hint)

Get Adobe Flash player

That would be righteous as hell.In my reading, the chamber should be as close to the size needed as all extra air needs to be removed, before it removes the air trapped in the epoxy.I am thinking a large chamber could be made with PVC hookups to a shop vac to pull the initial "extra air" out then a under $200 pump can handle it after that.I currently have started a 50 gallon vibratory polisher(ceramic media) unit.Then maybe a large chamber, but I'm grabbing a 3 gallon set up with a pump for now.Thanks again

Share This