CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Shovelhead clutch

Just moved and lost my manual. I gotta get my bike back on the road. Who has a diagram or instructions for throw out bearing replacement.
    This is my kit. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C057301F-9E19-4AD4-8964-8386E6EEC8C8.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	109781

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuJG5tIFRKs&t=387s

In this video Pacific Mike takes out the old style like yours, and puts in a new style. I used this video to learn how to install the old style like yours. It should help.

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

The Carl Salter site and the Harley PDF Manual Trade and Share Facebook group (which has MANY factory manuals and factory parts catalogs) both have all the books ya need free with no bullshit, malware etc.

From the book “How to Rebuild & Restore Classic Harley-Davidson Big Twins 1936-1964, page 181:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1574.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	134.5 KB 
ID:	109872

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1573.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	109873

Start by fitting the release finger in the case with its washer facing the bottom of the cover. Install the clutch release shaft into the case to hold the finger in place, and fit it with a washer and cotter pin. Doing this can be tricky, so take your time. With the clutch pushrod installed in the transmission mainsheet and its small end facing the cover, we’ll continue. Place the throw-out bearing in the cover. Using the clutch pushrod as a guide, slide the cover on the transmission. It should seat firmly to the case. Do not force it in place by tightening the cover nuts. If it fails to fit with hand pressure, the cover might need to be replaced. Install two or three nuts and washers to hold the cover in place temporarily, and rotate the clutch release arm. Verify that the clutch pushrod is activated. It’s not a bad idea to check the kicker for smooth operation at this time also. When you are satisfied with the results, button it up.

Share This