CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Best way to clean baked on carbon off pistons and heads w/out a complete tear down?

Okay, so Iím taking my top end apart to replace leaky head and rocker box gaskets.
    Got it all opened up today and the carbon buildup is pretty thick.

I found all kinds of different ideas out there on Google on methods for cleaning this up, but Iím not sure I trust some of the opinions of these ďonly ever ride stockĒ kinda guys.

So, what do you guys suggest for being the best way to clean the baked on carbon deposits off the top of my pistons and inside of my cylinder heads without tearing things down further?

Iím not removing my barrels and I would like to keep the valve springs and all that jazz in the heads as well.
    Iím sure Iím not the first to do this and I would assume that some one in this forum has some hands on experience with this... unlike myself
    Any tips are very much appreciated!

And just for fun, here are some pics of what Iím playing with: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A8AE20CD-6253-4E00-B509-8446D47AA241.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	128.2 KB 
ID:	109471Click image for larger version. 

Name:	59612D41-9E42-48CB-9EA4-0CA32FA58CCD.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	109472Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AB7D1FEB-B446-4CA2-AA6D-F17D3F8A4832.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	79.6 KB 
ID:	109473

Get Adobe Flash player

Usually when there is an area all the way around the piston with no carbon and heavy carbon in the center there is quite a bit of oil coming past the rings and washing the carbon off the edges. Think I'd ring it while I was this close. Is it smoking a little ever now and then?
    Dusty

Get Adobe Flash player

The classic tool for removing carbon is a hacksaw blade. Use the rounded end of the blade as a scraper. You don't have to get it perfectly clean, because it is going to carbon up again immediately.

Jim

I usually use a hardwood scraper. +1 on what he said, about new rings.

The chap who builds my sons racing engines, and who built my racing engines when I was racing, worked from factory parts books and suppliers data sheets all the time. He has had all the work he wants to do, for the last thirty five years....

Get Adobe Flash player

a friend who is an Aircraft Mechanic showed me a trick that is used on piston engined aircraft
    & it works amazingly well
    it is approved by the CAA & the FAA for use on aircraft so it's gotta be good for any engine,
    First you take ya bike outside, run it until nice & warmed up & hot,
    with the air filter off, use an atomiser spray bottle, to spray Brake fluid into the intake as you slightly increase the revs,
    eventually the motor will stall,
    when taken apart there was NO carbon residue in the top end of the motor,
    the brake fluid seems to blast the shit out leaving pretty damn clean internals,
    as said, it is a CAA/FAA approved method of de-cokeing an Aircraft motor,
    the only warning was to do it outside as it will lay down more smoke than the Bismark under fire !!
    alternativly, if you have already removed or half stripped the motor the best way is to take it to a DRY ICE BLASTERS, as it will remove all carbon, oil & dirt, can be safely done without damage to anything & leaves no residue as the ice evaporates leaving a clean surface....see this Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrHchu1tNyc&t=76s
    Last edited by tzienlee; 03-12-2021 at 8:14 AM.

Share This